posted to rec.boats.building

Default transom replacement on an inflatable

Hello--

I've got a west marine inflatable dinghy (model sb285, built by zodiac,
about 9 ft long) with a rotten transom. The plywood transom is attached
to rubber moldings on either side and these are bonded to the tubes. Has
anyone ever replaced the transom on a boat like this? It looks like
best way would be to unglue the rubber boots from the hull tubes and
replace the whole thing as a unit. Any advice appreciated!!

Thanks--Jack Rogers

Jack Rogers wrote:

Hello--

I've got a west marine inflatable dinghy (model sb285, built by
zodiac, about 9 ft long) with a rotten transom. The plywood transom
is attached to rubber moldings on either side and these are bonded to
the tubes. Has anyone ever replaced the transom on a boat like this?
It looks like best way would be to unglue the rubber boots from the
hull tubes and replace the whole thing as a unit. Any advice
appreciated!!

Thanks--Jack Rogers

Would it be possible to stabilize the rot with something like GitRot or
System 3's Fix-Rot and then rebuild with epoxy or use an overlay of HDO
or Richlite. I've gotten small pieces of HDO from outdoor sign
manufactures and Richlite is used in counter tops. www.richlite.com has
a list of dealers/users. I'm presently using Richlite to rebuild the
front hatch opening on our 28' Irwin. Removed the sliding hatch and
replacing with a Bomar. Jim

posted to rec.boats.building

In article ,
"James" wrote:

Jack Rogers wrote:

[...]

No such luck--the wood is really mush extending all the way back into
the slot where it connects to the rubber boot.

thx--jack
posted to rec.boats.building
den den is offline

Jack Rogers wrote:
In article ,

No such luck--the wood is really mush extending all the way back into
the slot where it connects to the rubber boot.
thx--jack

Den wrote....
It looks like you are in the market for a sheet of marine ply. Maybe
use several sheets laminated together with repoxy. I used black 3M 5200
to stick a transom together. (to the tubes). The transom had separated
from the tubes, and the bottom. Really difficult to clamp, and jig for
the 4 day cure time. I did it in several steps. Unfortunately a renter
ran over the starboard aft chamber and popped it, so I gave up, and
never got it in the water. When I rolled it up, it seemed to still be
holding.

den wrote:

never got it in the water. When I rolled it up, it seemed to still be
holding.

Forgot to mention! USE THE BOOTS. They give you lots of gluing area.
Otherwise gotta use special glue which I have never heard of working
well.

Transom anodic bolt replacement Mercruiser Alpha [email protected] Boat Building 0 June 2nd 06 05:59 PM
Rugged Inflatable Boats + Engineering Conversions Mic Cruising 0 December 29th 05 11:58 PM
backing plates sel1 General 28 December 14th 04 08:10 AM
Mercruiser coupler replacement / transom issues Rich General 4 August 10th 04 10:07 PM
transom repair K. Smith General 0 August 7th 04 02:01 AM