posted to rec.boats.building
James James is offline

Default transom replacement on an inflatable

Jack Rogers wrote:

Hello--

I've got a west marine inflatable dinghy (model sb285, built by
zodiac, about 9 ft long) with a rotten transom. The plywood transom
is attached to rubber moldings on either side and these are bonded to
the tubes. Has anyone ever replaced the transom on a boat like this?
It looks like best way would be to unglue the rubber boots from the
hull tubes and replace the whole thing as a unit. Any advice
appreciated!!

Thanks--Jack Rogers

Would it be possible to stabilize the rot with something like GitRot or
System 3's Fix-Rot and then rebuild with epoxy or use an overlay of HDO
or Richlite. I've gotten small pieces of HDO from outdoor sign
manufactures and Richlite is used in counter tops. www.richlite.com has
a list of dealers/users. I'm presently using Richlite to rebuild the
front hatch opening on our 28' Irwin. Removed the sliding hatch and
replacing with a Bomar. Jim