posted to rec.boats.building

Default Crochet Boat Fenders - Almost OT

I've been wanting to make fenders for my current project, but have been
intimidated by the need to use a crown sinnet to cover the fender core.
With a crown sinnet, I would have lots of strands of rope all over the
place and I'm easily confused grin.

While reading my copy of Ashley's book of knots, he mentions the
similiarities between chain sinnets and crochet. That got me thinking
that perhaps I could crochet (never done that before either) the covers
instead of using a crown knot. The one big advantage is that I could
work off of a single strand from my big ball of twine and only do as
much as I felt like in an evening.

Has anyone else ever tried to, or heard of using crochet techniques for
fenders? Do you think it would work and still look nice?

Andrew B.

posted to rec.boats.building

Andrew,

I don't know if this is of any help, but I remember that my younger
sister used to knit small-diameter "tubes" using yarn and a tin can
with the bottom cut out and 4 popsicle sticks taped to the outside at
equal distances, sticking up vertically over the rim of the can. She
could make these tubes as long as she wanted. I think that if you used
rope instead of yarn and a bucket instead of a can, you could make
similar tubes for your fenders. As for the actual technique -- maybe
you could ask a friend's daughter or granddaughter. :-)

-max

max camirand wrote:
Andrew,

I don't know if this is of any help, but I remember that my younger
sister used to knit small-diameter "tubes" using yarn and a tin can
with the bottom cut out and 4 popsicle sticks taped to the outside at
equal distances, sticking up vertically over the rim of the can. She
could make these tubes as long as she wanted. I think that if you used
rope instead of yarn and a bucket instead of a can, you could make
similar tubes for your fenders. As for the actual technique -- maybe
you could ask a friend's daughter or granddaughter. :-)

-max

Max - I believe you're thinking of a "knitting nancy" -
http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/knittingnancys.html

Ashley mentions that similar units were used to create old style money
purses. That's certainly a thought and it would possible make it
easier to keep everything in place on the fender as I'm working along
it.

Andrew B

posted to rec.boats.building

Seems to me that today's inflated vinyl fenders are much to be preferred.
They're inexpensive, actually provide cushioning, don't consume time, and
don't harbor marine life. A 'pudding' for the pointy end of a dinghy might
be worth the effort.
"Andrew Butchart" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've been wanting to make fenders for my current project, but have been
intimidated by the need to use a crown sinnet to cover the fender core.
With a crown sinnet, I would have lots of strands of rope all over the
place and I'm easily confused grin.

While reading my copy of Ashley's book of knots, he mentions the
similiarities between chain sinnets and crochet. That got me thinking
that perhaps I could crochet (never done that before either) the covers
instead of using a crown knot. The one big advantage is that I could
work off of a single strand from my big ball of twine and only do as
much as I felt like in an evening.

Has anyone else ever tried to, or heard of using crochet techniques for
fenders? Do you think it would work and still look nice?

Andrew B.

posted to rec.boats.building

Ignore the naysayers Andrew; traditional fenders have a saltiness about them
that is noticeably lacking in the more modern plastic versions, even if they
have some downsides. These types of fenders can be just the thing to set
off ye olde time craft ^^

Ive sent you a couple of jpegs of how to make a cross pointed fender which
starts off with a whipping at the head. These arent too hard to make and
you should be able to knock one over in an evening with a six pack.

Shaun

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in message
Ignore the naysayers Andrew; traditional fenders have a saltiness about
them that is noticeably lacking in the more modern plastic versions, even
if they have some downsides. These types of fenders can be just the thing
to set off ye olde time craft ^^

Ive sent you a couple of jpegs of how to make a cross pointed fender which
starts off with a whipping at the head. These arent too hard to make and
you should be able to knock one over in an evening with a six pack.

Shaun

Shaun:

Thank you for the information. I'll also certainly look out for the 'The
Ditty Bag Book' by Frank Rosenow that you referenced.

Andrew B