posted to rec.boats.building
Andrew Butchart Andrew Butchart is offline

Default Crochet Boat Fenders - Almost OT

max camirand wrote:
Andrew,

I don't know if this is of any help, but I remember that my younger
sister used to knit small-diameter "tubes" using yarn and a tin can
with the bottom cut out and 4 popsicle sticks taped to the outside at
equal distances, sticking up vertically over the rim of the can. She
could make these tubes as long as she wanted. I think that if you used
rope instead of yarn and a bucket instead of a can, you could make
similar tubes for your fenders. As for the actual technique -- maybe
you could ask a friend's daughter or granddaughter. :-)

-max

Max - I believe you're thinking of a "knitting nancy" -
http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/knittingnancys.html

Ashley mentions that similar units were used to create old style money
purses. That's certainly a thought and it would possible make it
easier to keep everything in place on the fender as I'm working along
it.

Andrew B