posted to rec.boats.building
Andrew Butchart Andrew Butchart is offline

Default Crochet Boat Fenders - Almost OT

I've been wanting to make fenders for my current project, but have been
intimidated by the need to use a crown sinnet to cover the fender core.
With a crown sinnet, I would have lots of strands of rope all over the
place and I'm easily confused grin.

While reading my copy of Ashley's book of knots, he mentions the
similiarities between chain sinnets and crochet. That got me thinking
that perhaps I could crochet (never done that before either) the covers
instead of using a crown knot. The one big advantage is that I could
work off of a single strand from my big ball of twine and only do as
much as I felt like in an evening.

Has anyone else ever tried to, or heard of using crochet techniques for
fenders? Do you think it would work and still look nice?

Andrew B.