posted to rec.boats.building

Default Rapairing an AVON Inflatable

I just purchased a 1984 AVON R2-80 that is in very good shape as far as
the fabric. BUT there was a problem with rats/squirrels in the POs
garage and there are 5 large (1.2") holes in the tubes. These have
been patched with PVC patches and something that looks like 3M-5200.
They hold air but look like hell and there is a slow leak that requires
re-pumping it every 36 hours. The color of the tubes is dark grey. I
dont know what the material is. The floor is a set of hard
fiberglass/plastic (?) boards that link together on the inside.

I want to remove the patches and replace them with proper patches and
overcoat the tubes in a white colored sealant/UV protection.

My plan is to first remove and replace the patches, then fill it with
an interior sealant and air it up and roll it about to get the interior
pin hole leaks. Then I want to clean it well with some sort of
solvent, maybe alcohol?, and then repaint the surface.

My questionS A
1) WHAT do I use to re-patch it,
2) WHAT do I use to seal it from the inside,
3) WHAT solvent do I clean it with, and
4) WHAT do I use to repaint it?

I removed one of the patches and it still holds air because the 3M-5200
sealed the large hole as a filler and the PVC patch wasnt really
holding the air it. The patch just peeled of the 5200 easily without
much coaxing. But I would be affraid that the 5200 might not hold
without a fabric patch over it so I plan to leave the 5200 "plug" where
it is, clean off the fabric around the edge of the "plug" , and just
glue a new fabric patch over the area.

After getting it restored to "new" I would like to fit it with a hard
bottom keel. I have heard of people doing this but dont know if it is
really feasable.

Any comments, suggestions, arguments, etc are welcome.

BTW in case you are thinking a 1984 Avon is not worth the effort, The
fabric is in very good condition as it has allways been kept indoors
when not in use and more importantly, I paid just $50 for it.

Garland Gray II wrote:
AFAIK, all Avons are hypalon, so PVC patches would not work. Get a proper
repair kit for hypalon and follow those instructions.

"jim.isbell" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hypalon patches from a local inflatable boat dealer + the 2 part glue
they will sell you. Forget the 1 part; it doesn't last.

2) WHAT do I use to seal it from the inside,

No idea if it's possible. Talk to an inflatable boat dealer that does
repairs

3) WHAT solvent do I clean it with, and

Same story - talk to the dealer or read the directions on the glue bottle.

4) WHAT do I use to repaint it?

You can get hypalon paint but a good scrubbing will do wonders. I'd
try simple green and work my up from there.

Evan Gatehouse

Garland Gray II wrote:
AFAIK, all Avons are hypalon, so PVC patches would not work. Get a proper
repair kit for hypalon and follow those instructions.

I thought Hypalon was a recent development and that the older
inflatables were PVC. My Avon is a 1984 model. Was Hypalon being used
back then?

posted to rec.boats.building

"My Avon is a 1984 model. Was Hypalon being used back then?"
Yes, Hypalon was used back then. At our club we have a few Avon made during
the early eighty and late seventy.They are still in use and look in fair
condition. Most of their owners keep them inflated all year. They are used
from early may to early October. During the off season they are stored in
their garages. The best looking one are store indoor when not in use. My
friend brings his Avon when he needs it and bring it back into his garage
when not in use. Although his Avon is about 20 years old it looks almost
new.

"jim.isbell" wrote in message
oups.com...

jim.isbell wrote:

I thought Hypalon was a recent development and that the older
inflatables were PVC. My Avon is a 1984 model. Was Hypalon being used
back then?

I've got a '76 Zodiac made of Hypalon. It was used a lot in the earlier
days on quality inflatables (and even some cheapies). Not used that much
anymore. The new Zodiacs are some form of PVC.

Hypalon can be a bear to glue. Be sure to get the right adhesive (usually
a 2 part mix) and follow instructions carefully. If you're gluing two
different parts of the boat, find out if they are the same material
first. The glues are different (for instance my Zodiac has a vinyl
bottom, vinyl to Hypalon has a special glue). I find that I need
to abrade the material more than I think in order to get a good bond.