Lloyd Sumpter

Default Inflatable for tender dinghy

Hi,
(Been a while since I've been he wave to the ol' regulars!)

I'm thinking of trading my Walker Bay for an inflatable (then using the WB
for lake fishing), for the tender dinghy for Far Cove, my Catalina 36. I'm
NOT currently looking at brand-names - I first want to nail down what KIND
I want.

70% of the time it will be carrying 1-2 people, using an electric motor.
20% same thing, but rowed. I have a Merc 9.9 4-stroke (light for a
4-stroke...) that I MIGHT want to hang off the back, which creates the
dilemma:

I'm torn between basically "like-for-like": A small, 8-9ft flat
(inflatable?) bottom, like a Sea Eagle. I'll be gaining stability and
load-carrying, but losing on rowing enjoyment.

Or, a bigger, 9-10ft "hard" bottom with inflatable keel that would handle
the 9.9 (like a Brig).

The 9.9 will spend most of it's time on the 12-ft aluminum skiff where it
is now, and the inflatable will be stored on the deck of Far Cove,
probably partially deflated.

Comments? Does the inflatable keel help? Anybody done comparisons between
various floor configurations and performance while rowing or motoring?
Will the electric push the boat as well as it does the Walker Bay? Do the
"bigger" (10ft...) inflatables tow as easily as a WB?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36
"Near Cove" Walker Bay 8

Glenn A. Heslop

Not sure what to recommend about inflatables. Spending last winter cruising
farther south of here on our 41' Gulfstar, we used a 12' Porta-Bote. This
is a folding boat that is very light and seems almost impossible to poke
holes in. Seemed very stable in fairly good sized waves though be careful
towing at sea in larger waves as they can fill with water and 'sink' though
they have positive flotation and are recoverable. We like this boat...your
9.9 motor will make in absolutely fly...maybe too much power. I have a 6HP
4-stroke Nissan on ours and with one person it is very fast. Cost with
motor was less than inflatable without motor. I think there are some
pictures on our web site (www.seawing.net). You will find information on
the manufacturers web site too.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing
www.seawing.net

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:35:23 -0700, Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,
(Been a while since I've been he wave to the ol' regulars!)

I'm thinking of trading my Walker Bay for an inflatable (then using the WB
for lake fishing), for the tender dinghy for Far Cove, my Catalina 36.

Thanks for the replies: I've seen the porta-bote, and it's not what I'm
looking for.

I bought a Brig Dingo D285, and so far I'm very impressed. It has a
"solid" floor (5 piece plywood linked together) with an inflatable keel
that goes all the way back to the transom.

The Bad News is the oars really suck. They're too short, and PINNED so you
can't feather them. I think I can modify "proper" oarlocks to be female
and fit over the pin, then use some decent oars and it should be OK.

The Good News is that it goes GREAT with an electric! I bought a Minn Kota
Max50T (50-lb thrust, Maximizer cct) and with one person on board, it goes
5.8 knots WOT and 3.7knots at 50%. That's not bad at all: in fact I'm
guessing it's at least as good as a 2-4hp engine. Kinda fun pulling
donuts, jumping my own wake, making NO noise!

I COULD use up to a 10hp outboard if I wanted to go Really Fast and be
Really Noisy.

And, it fits on Far Cove's foredeck like it was made for it. (Though it's
a LITTLE heavy for simply throwing overboard to launch like I did with the
Walker Bay)

So... anybody wanna buy a well-used Walker Bay 8 c/w 30-lb electric and
oars?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36
"Near Cove III" Brig 285

Inflatable floor Dinghy Bill Cruising 3 June 7th 05 08:49 PM
Dinghy Dogs better than an inflatable boat Mic Cruising 1 May 14th 05 04:32 AM
11' Inflatable Boat Dinghy $799 General 0 December 22nd 04 01:08 AM
11' SEA DRAGON INFLATABLE BOAT DINGHY - $799 NEW! Cruising 1 December 5th 04 05:53 PM
INFLATABLE DINGHY WANTED SerZyk General 0 September 17th 03 09:57 PM