posted to rec.boats.building

Default Interboat datasharing?

I'm an engineering student and we're into sea-related businesses. My
group's idea was to share weather data between ships automatically,
allowing high-traffic areas to be relativily closely monitored. The
data would probably flow on a radio frequency, although we might be
able to compress it enough that it wouldn't interfere with voice
traffic. However, none of us have experience with boats, and we were
wondering if anyone had any insight into the validity of the idea.

posted to rec.boats.building

megapizza,
Look at what is already happening with AIS and then investigate adding
data to the existing string.
Matt Colie

Bangtabuck wrote:
I'm an engineering student and we're into sea-related businesses. My
group's idea was to share weather data between ships automatically,
allowing high-traffic areas to be relativily closely monitored. The
data would probably flow on a radio frequency, although we might be
able to compress it enough that it wouldn't interfere with voice
traffic. However, none of us have experience with boats, and we were
wondering if anyone had any insight into the validity of the idea.

posted to rec.boats.building

Interesting idea. The AIS protocol is already somewhat complicated as much
as there is not a lot of channel reserved for digital usage. But in your
idea, where does the weather data would come from ? Are you assuming that
on board personel would input their perception of the weather or that basic
weather station would be directly connected to the VHF ?

"Bangtabuck" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

You looking to build a commercial product or is this a toy for a sailing
club?

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

posted to rec.boats.building

We're doing this for a class project. We're supposed to pretend that
we're actually going to take it to market, and I suppose that there's
nothing stopping us if we're really on to something. As for how the
data would get input, I was imagining that boats have the capacity to
measure things like windspeed and temperature, and more sensors could
be added as part of the package. In addition, there could be a 'bad
weather button' that a thoughtful seaman would push when they hit a
rough patch.
How much does weather vary within radio range?

posted to rec.boats.building

Depends on the radio spectrum. Long range equals HF.

Your project boils down to a microphone accessory box on a radio. A
box connecting baro, temp, wind, etc to an hf radio could provide
worldwide coverage, so long as sufficient data was piggy backed over
normal operations, else a radio powering itself up periodically to
perform weather duties might be an objectionable usurpation of a
skipper's radio minimise traffic and power option.

Tx ID, GPS location and a packet of met sent out to any smartened
receiver in range could be routed to a network auto calculated at each
router to send the local report data shoreward. Confirmation would be
needed to enable routing reports. An optimal network must survive noisy
reception and minimise jabber.

So, a cable connector to a radio, incorperating met and routing data
might even display the best concocted weather map from local data or
even a podcast.

So, you need some software?

It seems it might be easiest if it was an option on a gps involving
satellite feedback of routing confirmations sent from world met report
hq. Otherwise, met reports would need to reproduce for a fixed time
period, growing in volume without retransmit control. Routing
confirmations minimise traffic. (minimal msg "id # rx'd ok (favoured
route node #)")

So, GPS would become a promulgation arm of a word wide weather net fed
by locals on radio, retransmission controlled, reception confirmed by
gps data. Isn't there a system like that already, using weathership
bouyes powered by wave and solar generators? It seems there should be
some bandwidth available on gps transmissions.

As well, with a "Sinking!" button on board, redundant emergency service
becomes a doddle.

Then, there is the local radar map on cell phone crowd who would like
it. With gps phones sending small paints to the traffic radar computer,
like in the English Channel?

Terry K