posted to rec.boats.building

Default waterproof glue

Iv'e been looking for some resorcinol glue with no luck. Does anyone know
where I can find a reliable supplier. And how expensive is this stuff?

Jeff Pugh wrote:
Iv'e been looking for some resorcinol glue with no luck. Does
anyone know where I can find a reliable supplier.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...esorcinol+glue

And how expensive is this stuff?

Very

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Jeff Pugh wrote:
Iv'e been looking for some resorcinol glue with no luck. Does anyone know
where I can find a reliable supplier. And how expensive is this stuff?

Mind if I ask why? It was one of the first non-protein synthetic
adhesives from 1930's. Reaced by epoxides now which are also waterproof.

posted to rec.boats.building
CS CS is offline

Wm Watt wrote:
Jeff Pugh wrote:
Iv'e been looking for some resorcinol glue with no luck. Does anyone know
where I can find a reliable supplier. And how expensive is this stuff?

Mind if I ask why? It was one of the first non-protein synthetic
adhesives from 1930's. Reaced by epoxides now which are also waterproof.

Great thing about resorcinol is that tools etc can be cleaned off in
water. Excellent stuff and readily available in UK and not expensive.

posted to rec.boats.building

"CS" wrote in message
ups.com...
Great thing about resorcinol is that tools etc can be cleaned off in
water. Excellent stuff and readily available in UK and not expensive.

But it requires absolute tight fits and high clamping pressure. Epoxy on the
other hand is gap filling and requires no clamping pressure at all. And when
building a boat, this is a huge plus.

Meindert

CS wrote:
Wm Watt wrote:
Jeff Pugh wrote:
Iv'e been looking for some resorcinol glue with no luck. Does anyone know
where I can find a reliable supplier. And how expensive is this stuff?

Mind if I ask why? It was one of the first non-protein synthetic
adhesives from 1930's. Reaced by epoxides now which are also waterproof.

Great thing about resorcinol is that tools etc can be cleaned off in
water. Excellent stuff and readily available in UK and not expensive.

Low cost is attractive. I've used the urea formaldehide-based water
resistant glue developed at about the same time. I use the
polyurethane-base adhesive on my small cheap boats now at a lower cost
and more forgiving working time and curing temperature. Neither of
these is absolutely waterproof like resorcinol.

I guess people know that rescorcinol dries a deep purple that stains
the work so it's not thebest around exposed woodgrain.

posted to rec.boats.building
CS CS is offline

I guess people know that rescorcinol dries a deep purple that stains
the work so it's not thebest around exposed woodgrain.

Thats why I used it to build an laminated oak steering wheel:
http://www.luxe-motor-kei.co.uk/inte...e/image54.html
http://www.luxe-motor-kei.co.uk/inte...e/image56.html

On 3 Oct 2006 09:12:58 -0700, "Wm Watt" wrote:

CS wrote:
Wm Watt wrote:
Jeff Pugh wrote:
Iv'e been looking for some resorcinol glue with no luck. Does anyone know
where I can find a reliable supplier. And how expensive is this stuff?

Mind if I ask why? It was one of the first non-protein synthetic
adhesives from 1930's. Reaced by epoxides now which are also waterproof.

Great thing about resorcinol is that tools etc can be cleaned off in
water. Excellent stuff and readily available in UK and not expensive.

Low cost is attractive. I've used the urea formaldehide-based water
resistant glue developed at about the same time. I use the
polyurethane-base adhesive on my small cheap boats now at a lower cost
and more forgiving working time and curing temperature. Neither of
these is absolutely waterproof like resorcinol.

I guess people know that rescorcinol dries a deep purple that stains
the work so it's not thebest around exposed woodgrain.

Oops! There goes another misconception. The damp-setting, expanding
glues of the "Gorilla" type were I thought both waterproof and
polyurethane based? They are way expensive!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK