Jonathan

Default Epoxy or polyester?

I took two weeks off from the Argie 10 in order to go and work on Ocean
Planet, in Portland, Maine.

Now that I am back, I have a piece of carbon fiber cloth to cover the
bottom of the dinghy with. Funds are real tight and I am afraid that
using epoxy to affix the carbon fiber will use too much of it up, and I
am contemplating using some polyester resin I have lying around from a
project some time ago. It is still good, I fixed another dinghy with it
this spring.

The fiber is just for scuff protection. Any thoughts pro or con?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Stephen Baker

Jonathan says:

Now that I am back, I have a piece of carbon fiber cloth to cover the
bottom of the dinghy with.

snip

The fiber is just for scuff protection. Any thoughts pro or con?

Con on both from my viewpoint. Polyester and carbon do not mix well, IME.
Also, carbon is very bad in "scuff" mode, which is why it is usually covered
with Kevalr in areas where that may happen.
But... it was obviously free (ish) so what the hey! CAn't lose on that one,
but try to use epoxy as most carbon is not sized for polyester.

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm
Reynaud

"Jonathan" wrote in message
I took two weeks off from the Argie 10 in order to go and work on Ocean
Planet, in Portland, Maine.

Now that I am back, I have a piece of carbon fiber cloth to cover the
bottom of the dinghy with. Funds are real tight and I am afraid that
using epoxy to affix the carbon fiber will use too much of it up, and I
am contemplating using some polyester resin I have lying around from a
project some time ago. It is still good, I fixed another dinghy with it
this spring.

The fiber is just for scuff protection. Any thoughts pro or con?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi there . carbon fibre is to be used for fairings on motorcycles some
expensive autos and other high end machines . It is not fire resistant or
abrasive or structural material. I have used it with epoxy and it does a
nice job in special applications. Do some research before you use it.

Rey

Matt Langenfeld

You have to bag that stuff to get it on right.

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Jonathan wrote:

I took two weeks off from the Argie 10 in order to go and work on Ocean
Planet, in Portland, Maine.

Now that I am back, I have a piece of carbon fiber cloth to cover the
bottom of the dinghy with. Funds are real tight and I am afraid that
using epoxy to affix the carbon fiber will use too much of it up, and I
am contemplating using some polyester resin I have lying around from a
project some time ago. It is still good, I fixed another dinghy with it
this spring.

The fiber is just for scuff protection. Any thoughts pro or con?

Thanks,

Jonathan

William R. Watt

It might be more economical in the long run to purchase glass fibre for the
dingy and save the carbon fibre for a time when it would be needed.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Jonathan

Steve,

I understand it's not ideal for the application, but... the plywood is
only 6mm. I'll use epoxy...am I correct in believing that it's better
than nothing?

Wait..wait...I see some 4.24 oz glass cloth on ebay that I can afford,
would that be appreciably better?

Jonathan

Stephen Baker wrote:
Jonathan says:

Now that I am back, I have a piece of carbon fiber cloth to cover the
bottom of the dinghy with.

snip

The fiber is just for scuff protection. Any thoughts pro or con?

Con on both from my viewpoint. Polyester and carbon do not mix well, IME.
Also, carbon is very bad in "scuff" mode, which is why it is usually covered
with Kevalr in areas where that may happen.
But... it was obviously free (ish) so what the hey! CAn't lose on that one,
but try to use epoxy as most carbon is not sized for polyester.

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm

Lew Hodgett

"Jonathan" writes:

I understand it's not ideal for the application, but... the plywood is
only 6mm. I'll use epoxy...am I correct in believing that it's better
than nothing?

Wait..wait...I see some 4.24 oz glass cloth on ebay that I can afford,
would that be appreciably better?

Don't waste your time or your money.

A 50 yard roll of 6" boat tape is about $35 around here.

If you don't want to spend that much, find somebody that will sell a couple
of yards of glass cut from a roll.

Any of the following will work:

DB170, 17 0Z Double Bias
DB240, 24 0Z Double Bias
A 22 0z Triax, +/-45 & a 90.

$10 should cover the glass.

Have fun.

SFWIW, doing this same repair on a friend's 24 ft stink boat right now.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

William R. Watt

no need to buy a roll. you can buy it by the yard at automobile retail
stores and could try calling hardware stores. you might find an outlet
under "plastics" in the Yellow Pages who sells fibreglass cloth by
the yard.

Jonathan ) writes:
Steve,

I understand it's not ideal for the application, but... the plywood is
only 6mm. I'll use epoxy...am I correct in believing that it's better
than nothing?

Wait..wait...I see some 4.24 oz glass cloth on ebay that I can afford,
would that be appreciably better?

Jonathan

Stephen Baker wrote:
Jonathan says:

Now that I am back, I have a piece of carbon fiber cloth to cover the
bottom of the dinghy with.

snip

The fiber is just for scuff protection. Any thoughts pro or con?

Con on both from my viewpoint. Polyester and carbon do not mix well, IME.
Also, carbon is very bad in "scuff" mode, which is why it is usually covered
with Kevalr in areas where that may happen.
But... it was obviously free (ish) so what the hey! CAn't lose on that one,
but try to use epoxy as most carbon is not sized for polyester.

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Joel

Save your carbon for something else. Here is 9 oz 4" tape by the yard:

http://www.boatbuildercentral.com/pr...erglass%20tape

Resins, Fillers and glues Parallax Boat Building 28 May 11th 04 06:15 AM
Bonding epoxy to a polyester substrate bruce Boat Building 7 April 24th 04 04:11 PM
Polyester or Epoxy? Allan Boat Building 76 January 28th 04 02:51 AM
Polyester epoxy carlp Boat Building 8 October 2nd 03 09:07 PM
polyester - epoxy bonding Walt Boat Building 19 July 27th 03 06:37 PM