Reynaud

Default Foam kayak

Has anyone here ever built an kayak or canoe from polystyrene coated with
cloth and Epoxy? I'm in the process now and find that even one layer of
cloth and epoxy
are quite strong. Where the cockpit area is I have used 1/8" plywood as
the surrounding material as it will have the stress of body support. I plan
to use 3 laminations and then polyurethane as the finish . This is just a
simple explanation of the actual process I have used . I shall post
further if it is water worthy !!

Rey

glenn

Hi...

Sounds like an interesting project... I look forward to seeing a progress
report. I have been considering building a Kayak for some time now and, was
wondering if anyone had ever tried the technique of "carving" a kayak out of
a block of foam in two halves (top and bottom) and fitting the two together.
I think the difficult part might be to get a uniform thickness of
polystyrene.

Let us know how this works out... pictures please!!

Glenn

Reynaud wrote in message ...
Has anyone here ever built an kayak or canoe from polystyrene coated with
cloth and Epoxy? I'm in the process now and find that even one layer of
cloth and epoxy
are quite strong. Where the cockpit area is I have used 1/8" plywood as
the surrounding material as it will have the stress of body support. I

plan
to use 3 laminations and then polyurethane as the finish . This is just a
simple explanation of the actual process I have used . I shall post
further if it is water worthy !!

Rey

Matt Langenfeld

There are 3 axis CNC routers. I wonder how they would be for cutting a
block of foam into a hull shape? Anyone have experience?

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Reynaud wrote in message ...

Has anyone here ever built an kayak or canoe from polystyrene coated with
cloth and Epoxy? I'm in the process now and find that even one layer of
cloth and epoxy
are quite strong. Where the cockpit area is I have used 1/8" plywood as
the surrounding material as it will have the stress of body support. I

plan

to use 3 laminations and then polyurethane as the finish . This is just a
simple explanation of the actual process I have used . I shall post
further if it is water worthy !!

Rey

Robert Haston

Foam core is light but not impact resistant. That is why some kayak
manufacturers design bulkheads that flex, so impact stress is spread out.

If you don't mind repairing dings, the idea has merit. Look up surfboard
building for how tos.

nk.net...

Reynaud wrote in message ...

Has anyone here ever built an kayak or canoe from polystyrene coated

with
cloth and Epoxy? I'm in the process now and find that even one layer of
cloth and epoxy
are quite strong. Where the cockpit area is I have used 1/8" plywood

as
the surrounding material as it will have the stress of body support. I

plan

to use 3 laminations and then polyurethane as the finish . This is just

simple explanation of the actual process I have used . I shall post
further if it is water worthy !!

Rey

Jacques

"Reynaud" wrote in message ...
Has anyone here ever built an kayak or canoe from polystyrene coated with
cloth and Epoxy?

We did it last year and you see pictures of the canoe he
http://www.boatplans-online.com/prod...?prod=Hiawatha
We have more pictures in other parts of the site.
We used polystyrene insulation foam, the blue stuff.
We did not expect any good results but we wanted to check a new panel
development software and had some foam sitting there. Once assembled,
since the warehouse guy had nothing better to do, we slapped some
resin and glass over the foam.
To get some impact resistance,we had to use more glass than on our
plywood composite hulls and the result is a boat slighly heavier than
the plywood-fiberglass version. It also cost more because you need
more fiberglass and resin.
There is no saving in weight and it cost more than marine ply plus
fiberglass . . . not a great deal but the question keeps coming up,
probably because of all the "no wood" boat ads.

That question is also often discussed in our message board and we
wrote about it in our FAQ at:

http://bateau2.com

Jacques from bateau.com

William R. Watt

"Reynaud" ) writes:
Has anyone here ever built an kayak or canoe from polystyrene coated with
cloth and Epoxy? I'm in the process now and find that even one layer of
cloth and epoxy

It has been discussed here before, also foam core plywood construction. I
looked at for light weight construction but from information posted here
calcualted that it would be heavier than plywood, ie no weight savings. It
is not so good for small boats but becomes practical as the size of the
boat gets bigger.

There used to be photos on the Internet of a rough experiment made of rigid
foam board foam covered with thin plywood to protect the foam.

There was also a small sail board made of foam with no exterior covering
on the market. It might be possible for a DIY'er to make a mould and pour
in liguid foam to make something like that.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Jacques

Paul Kenna wrote in message . ..
Checkout http://www.ptone.com/boatbuilding2002/ for a one off foam
playboat

Paul
Melbourne

Great job. It's more sculpture than boatbuilding :-) but the concept
is nice.

If you took those fins off, the kayak would look very much like those
short white water kayaks that we have around here.

Jacques from bateau.com

2 part floatation foam Ed Kracl General 5 July 10th 04 03:14 AM
foam core Tom Best Boat Building 10 May 29th 04 12:57 PM
I tore up floatation foam steve General 2 May 3rd 04 11:27 PM
Foam Block To Bass Boat... can this be done? [email protected] Boat Building 2 April 11th 04 11:56 PM
foam core suppliers in uk matt Boat Building 1 September 16th 03 07:01 PM