glenn

Default Foam kayak

Hi...

Sounds like an interesting project... I look forward to seeing a progress
report. I have been considering building a Kayak for some time now and, was
wondering if anyone had ever tried the technique of "carving" a kayak out of
a block of foam in two halves (top and bottom) and fitting the two together.
I think the difficult part might be to get a uniform thickness of
polystyrene.

Let us know how this works out... pictures please!!

Glenn

Reynaud wrote in message ...
Has anyone here ever built an kayak or canoe from polystyrene coated with
cloth and Epoxy? I'm in the process now and find that even one layer of
cloth and epoxy
are quite strong. Where the cockpit area is I have used 1/8" plywood as
the surrounding material as it will have the stress of body support. I

plan
to use 3 laminations and then polyurethane as the finish . This is just a
simple explanation of the actual process I have used . I shall post
further if it is water worthy !!

Rey