Robert Haston

Default Foam kayak

Foam core is light but not impact resistant. That is why some kayak
manufacturers design bulkheads that flex, so impact stress is spread out.

If you don't mind repairing dings, the idea has merit. Look up surfboard
building for how tos.

"Matt Langenfeld" wrote in message
nk.net...
There are 3 axis CNC routers. I wonder how they would be for cutting a
block of foam into a hull shape? Anyone have experience?

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

glenn wrote:
Hi...

Sounds like an interesting project... I look forward to seeing a

progress
report. I have been considering building a Kayak for some time now and,

was
wondering if anyone had ever tried the technique of "carving" a kayak

out of
a block of foam in two halves (top and bottom) and fitting the two

together.
I think the difficult part might be to get a uniform thickness of
polystyrene.

Let us know how this works out... pictures please!!

Glenn

Reynaud wrote in message ...

Has anyone here ever built an kayak or canoe from polystyrene coated

with
cloth and Epoxy? I'm in the process now and find that even one layer of
cloth and epoxy
are quite strong. Where the cockpit area is I have used 1/8" plywood

as
the surrounding material as it will have the stress of body support. I

plan

to use 3 laminations and then polyurethane as the finish . This is just

simple explanation of the actual process I have used . I shall post
further if it is water worthy !!

Rey