Lew Hodgett

Default White Oak epoxy lamination

"Mike Brannon" writes:

Greetings group, I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with epoxy
glue and white oak. I'm building several laminations here of thin white

oak
to form frames, sheer clamps, stem etc. and I recently ran across

something
in print that warned of glueing up oak in such a manner. So far it has

been
trouble free for me but it seemed appropriate to ask the knowledge base at
this forum of their experiences before proceeding at full speed.

Conventional wisdom is to use resorcinol for white oak, at least that's what
the company that built the frames for a couple of 100 ft Barks did.

YMMV

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Meindert Sprang

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
news

Conventional wisdom is to use resorcinol for white oak, at least that's

what
the company that built the frames for a couple of 100 ft Barks did.

Agreed. But resorcinol requires a precise fit and high clamping force.

Meindert

( OT ) Bush's 9/11 coverup? Jim General 5 March 7th 04 01:36 PM
Epoxy v. Poly rude Boat Building 5 February 12th 04 02:05 PM
Polyester or Epoxy? Allan Boat Building 76 January 28th 04 02:51 AM
How thick to make the fairing? & vaccum bagging a hull Pete Boat Building 12 January 19th 04 10:12 PM
epoxy does so pass water William R. Watt Boat Building 14 November 11th 03 12:52 PM