Gil G.

Default How much paint for a 32ft?

Hello,

I am wondering how many gallong of paint I should get for my 32ft.
double ended ketch. The hull is steel, and will be sandblasted to bare
metal. How many gallons per coat?

(full keel, 10ft beam, 10ft from keel bottom to cabin top)

Any suggestion on what paint system to use on steel would be
appreciated too, as well as advise on application.

Thanks a lot, sincerely,

Gil.
Meindert Sprang

"Gil G." wrote in message
Hello,

I am wondering how many gallong of paint I should get for my 32ft.
double ended ketch. The hull is steel, and will be sandblasted to bare
metal. How many gallons per coat?

Well, ehhr... do some math. Most, if not all cans specify the use per square
feet/meter.

Meindert

mike worrall

You probably can't go wrong with the widely available products from
Interlux.

See: http://www.yachtpaint.com

Their products for your application include multiple coats of
'Interprotect 2000E/2001E' which must be applied within 1 hour of
sandblasting (below waterline) and 'Epoxy Barrier-Kote 404/414' for
areas above waterline.

Interlux's formulae for determining 'wetted surface area' (in sq. ft)
is:

Bottom: (LOA) x (Beam) x (0.85)

Topsides: (LOA + Beam) x (2 times average free board area)

Now find the coverage area per gallon (from the web site) and you're
in!

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

Hello,

I am wondering how many gallong of paint I should get for my 32ft.
double ended ketch. The hull is steel, and will be sandblasted to bare
metal. How many gallons per coat?

(full keel, 10ft beam, 10ft from keel bottom to cabin top)

Any suggestion on what paint system to use on steel would be
appreciated too, as well as advise on application.

Thanks a lot, sincerely,

Gil.

Gil G.

On 11 Jul 2004 10:26:19 -0700, (mike worrall)
wrote:

You probably can't go wrong with the widely available products from
Interlux.

See:
http://www.yachtpaint.com

Their products for your application include multiple coats of
'Interprotect 2000E/2001E' which must be applied within 1 hour of
sandblasting (below waterline) and 'Epoxy Barrier-Kote 404/414' for
areas above waterline.

Interlux's formulae for determining 'wetted surface area' (in sq. ft)
is:

Bottom: (LOA) x (Beam) x (0.85)

Topsides: (LOA + Beam) x (2 times average free board area)

Now find the coverage area per gallon (from the web site) and you're
in!

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

Thanks Mike, now I have a better idea..

Gil.
MMC

Gil,
I used Sherwin Williams "marine industrial coating" 2 part epoxy for barrier
coat on my boat. Went on real good, modified fin keel 41' boat from
waterline down= roughly 1 gallon/coat.
This paint is formulated for oil rigs, and approved for a variety of
materials, including FG, and at $39/gal (w/o hardener) I couldn't beat it.
An important thing to remember is to apply consecutive coats (including
epoxy based bottom paint) at minimum recoat time, don't want to let these
paints get hard before recoat. I've seen boats with bottom paint falling
off.
MMC
wrote:

You probably can't go wrong with the widely available products from
Interlux.

See:
http://www.yachtpaint.com

Their products for your application include multiple coats of
'Interprotect 2000E/2001E' which must be applied within 1 hour of
sandblasting (below waterline) and 'Epoxy Barrier-Kote 404/414' for
areas above waterline.

Interlux's formulae for determining 'wetted surface area' (in sq. ft)
is:

Bottom: (LOA) x (Beam) x (0.85)

Topsides: (LOA + Beam) x (2 times average free board area)

Now find the coverage area per gallon (from the web site) and you're
in!

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

Thanks Mike, now I have a better idea..

Gil.

Gil G.

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:52:53 GMT, "MMC" wrote:

Gil,
I used Sherwin Williams "marine industrial coating" 2 part epoxy for barrier
coat on my boat. Went on real good, modified fin keel 41' boat from
waterline down= roughly 1 gallon/coat.
This paint is formulated for oil rigs, and approved for a variety of
materials, including FG, and at $39/gal (w/o hardener) I couldn't beat it.
An important thing to remember is to apply consecutive coats (including
epoxy based bottom paint) at minimum recoat time, don't want to let these
paints get hard before recoat. I've seen boats with bottom paint falling
off.
MMC

Interesting, thanks. I was looking at Ameron products: dimecoat 302
for primimg (3gals), Amercoat 235 (3 gals), and ABC4 for antifouling
(2gals)... Probably about $900 for it all though.

$39/gals sound great. Did you use a primer, or is it self primimg?

Gil.
MMC

No I used it as a barrier coat on my fiberglass hull. Way back when I was in
the USN and the Navy quit using Red Lead primer, we went to a zinc chromate
primer and then a epoxy coating over that, then haze gray on steel hulls and
decks. Don't know if that's the way metal boats (ships) are still painted,
but that's what we did.
MMC