MMC

Default How much paint for a 32ft?

No I used it as a barrier coat on my fiberglass hull. Way back when I was in
the USN and the Navy quit using Red Lead primer, we went to a zinc chromate
primer and then a epoxy coating over that, then haze gray on steel hulls and
decks. Don't know if that's the way metal boats (ships) are still painted,
but that's what we did.
MMC
"Gil G." wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:52:53 GMT, "MMC" wrote:

Gil,
I used Sherwin Williams "marine industrial coating" 2 part epoxy for

barrier
coat on my boat. Went on real good, modified fin keel 41' boat from
waterline down= roughly 1 gallon/coat.
This paint is formulated for oil rigs, and approved for a variety of
materials, including FG, and at $39/gal (w/o hardener) I couldn't beat

it.
An important thing to remember is to apply consecutive coats (including
epoxy based bottom paint) at minimum recoat time, don't want to let these
paints get hard before recoat. I've seen boats with bottom paint falling
off.
MMC

Interesting, thanks. I was looking at Ameron products: dimecoat 302
for primimg (3gals), Amercoat 235 (3 gals), and ABC4 for antifouling
(2gals)... Probably about $900 for it all though.

$39/gals sound great. Did you use a primer, or is it self primimg?

Gil.