posted to rec.boats.building
rrj rrj is offline

Default Older Merc Engine needs manual

After trying to tell Mercury about their engine and not being successful I
tried to e-mail them and unless I make up some appropriate info they won't
respond.
The fact is the serial number doesn't match their criteria. stamped in the
plate is a seven digit number and its supposed to be eight. I went through a
long list of serial numbers for 150hp engines from '73-94 and they don't
even come close with anything arbitrarily added. I would like to put this
engine together and make it work. can anyone help?

rrj wrote:
After trying to tell Mercury about their engine and not being successful I
tried to e-mail them and unless I make up some appropriate info they won't
respond.
The fact is the serial number doesn't match their criteria. stamped in the
plate is a seven digit number and its supposed to be eight. I went through a
long list of serial numbers for 150hp engines from '73-94 and they don't
even come close with anything arbitrarily added. I would like to put this
engine together and make it work. can anyone help?

I suggest you simply take the motor to your local Merc dealer. I am sure
he will be happy to identify it for you and procure the appropriate
manual. My dealer did for me with an old '67 engine.

BS
posted to rec.boats.building
rrj rrj is offline

Default Older Merc Engine needs manual- Got One!

Well Thanks for the response. I came across Grubbs Marine Division online
and they actually new what I was talking about. The marine dealers here told
me to throw the thing out; that I would never get it working. Well I've
rebuilt 3 engines and though they were old they worked and I was proud every
time someone made a degrading remark. They got me where I was going and
brought me home- every time! I always had fish and many times the fellows
with the shiny models were being towed in. The best one was watching a guy
run his rig up and into the loading ramp after he had laughed at my "need a
pony" rig. I had to pull start a forty merc. Thanks again, rrj
"Bob S" wrote in message
rrj wrote:
After trying to tell Mercury about their engine and not being successful
I tried to e-mail them and unless I make up some appropriate info they
won't respond.
The fact is the serial number doesn't match their criteria. stamped in
the plate is a seven digit number and its supposed to be eight. I went
through a long list of serial numbers for 150hp engines from '73-94 and
they don't even come close with anything arbitrarily added. I would like
to put this engine together and make it work. can anyone help?

I suggest you simply take the motor to your local Merc dealer. I am sure
he will be happy to identify it for you and procure the appropriate
manual. My dealer did for me with an old '67 engine.

BS

posted to rec.boats.building
MMC MMC is offline

Not being a smartass "rrj", but are you sure you're looking at the serial
number and not a part number?
MMC
"rrj" wrote in message
After trying to tell Mercury about their engine and not being successful I
tried to e-mail them and unless I make up some appropriate info they won't
respond.
The fact is the serial number doesn't match their criteria. stamped in the
plate is a seven digit number and its supposed to be eight. I went through

long list of serial numbers for 150hp engines from '73-94 and they don't
even come close with anything arbitrarily added. I would like to put this
engine together and make it work. can anyone help?

posted to rec.boats.building
rrj rrj is offline

Yes I'm sure. Engine turns out to be a Merc 1500 EL '74. I got this info
using the given SN#. Have Service Manual and parts list on order, from some
fine folks @ Grubbs Marine Div. It took a lot of surfing till I found some
instant response. They even described the engine to me. Yup! I just might
have me a kicking outboard before to long. The boat also needs help. Ha, all
I want is to get out of this 12' nearly sinker and enjoy the swells of the
Chesapeake. Thanks for the response- all helps.

Johnson/Evinrude Casey Simmons General 2 March 23rd 11 05:20 AM
Atomic 4 Gas Engine Replacement Question ... Thomas Wentworth Boat Building 9 January 23rd 06 02:43 AM
Sailboat engine rebuild, replace, fix question Thomas Wentworth General 5 January 22nd 06 10:55 PM
Engine coupler Proxy General 14 July 17th 05 06:13 AM
4 Stroke 90HP Merc Engine - Changing Spark Plugs Ernie Cruising 2 October 9th 03 01:11 PM