posted to rec.boats.building
MMC MMC is offline

Default Older Merc Engine needs manual

Good news rrj! Hope you get to enjoy it soon!

"rrj" wrote in message
Yes I'm sure. Engine turns out to be a Merc 1500 EL '74. I got this info
using the given SN#. Have Service Manual and parts list on order, from

some
fine folks @ Grubbs Marine Div. It took a lot of surfing till I found

some
instant response. They even described the engine to me. Yup! I just might
have me a kicking outboard before to long. The boat also needs help. Ha,

all
I want is to get out of this 12' nearly sinker and enjoy the swells of the
Chesapeake. Thanks for the response- all helps.
"MMC" wrote in message
Not being a smartass "rrj", but are you sure you're looking at the

serial
number and not a part number?
MMC
"rrj" wrote in message
After trying to tell Mercury about their engine and not being

successful
tried to e-mail them and unless I make up some appropriate info they
won't
respond.
The fact is the serial number doesn't match their criteria. stamped in
the
plate is a seven digit number and its supposed to be eight. I went
through

long list of serial numbers for 150hp engines from '73-94 and they

don't
even come close with anything arbitrarily added. I would like to put

this
engine together and make it work. can anyone help?