Chris

Default exterior polished bronze coating???

Hello and thank you in advance for your suggestions. I'm in the
process of refinishing my boat. The exterior Port lights and fairleads
are of solid bronze. I'm going to sand and polish to a bright finish
and need to coat with a urethane, or some other durable product that
will protect the polished finish and keep all gleaming and not turning
green. I once coated with a two part DuPont product (forget the name)
and it lasted for a reasonable time. I'm aware that there are new
products out there that will under these harsh conditions guarantee a
ten year protection but as yet have not located the company or
product.

Again this is an exterior project, often awash in sea water for days,
stepped on and lines rubbing constantly.
Any suggestions besides letting turn green and brasso every other
week???
Tony Thomas

I have used automotive clearcoat paint on brass before w/ very good results.
I just buy the spray can of duplicolor clear from walmart or autoparts
store.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Chris" wrote in message
m...
Hello and thank you in advance for your suggestions. I'm in the
process of refinishing my boat. The exterior Port lights and fairleads
are of solid bronze. I'm going to sand and polish to a bright finish
and need to coat with a urethane, or some other durable product that
will protect the polished finish and keep all gleaming and not turning
green. I once coated with a two part DuPont product (forget the name)
and it lasted for a reasonable time. I'm aware that there are new
products out there that will under these harsh conditions guarantee a
ten year protection but as yet have not located the company or
product.

Again this is an exterior project, often awash in sea water for days,
stepped on and lines rubbing constantly.
Any suggestions besides letting turn green and brasso every other
week???

Karin Conover-Lewis

An alternative to the "green patina" or the bright-finished bronze is to
treat it with teak oil. It will take on a beautiful (to me, anyway)
brown-bronze patina that is quite durable. And giving it a wipe with teak
oil every once in a while is a lot easier than trying to keep it polished or
worrying about that plastic coating flaking off.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Chris" wrote in message
m...
Hello and thank you in advance for your suggestions. I'm in the
process of refinishing my boat. The exterior Port lights and fairleads
are of solid bronze. I'm going to sand and polish to a bright finish
and need to coat with a urethane, or some other durable product that
will protect the polished finish and keep all gleaming and not turning
green. I once coated with a two part DuPont product (forget the name)
and it lasted for a reasonable time. I'm aware that there are new
products out there that will under these harsh conditions guarantee a
ten year protection but as yet have not located the company or
product.

Again this is an exterior project, often awash in sea water for days,
stepped on and lines rubbing constantly.
Any suggestions besides letting turn green and brasso every other
week???

Chris Reynolds

"Chris" wrote in message
m...
Hello and thank you in advance for your suggestions. I'm in the
process of refinishing my boat. The exterior Port lights and fairleads
are of solid bronze. I'm going to sand and polish to a bright finish
and need to coat with a urethane, or some other durable product that
will protect the polished finish and keep all gleaming and not turning
green. I once coated with a two part DuPont product (forget the name)
and it lasted for a reasonable time. I'm aware that there are new
products out there that will under these harsh conditions guarantee a
ten year protection but as yet have not located the company or
product.

Again this is an exterior project, often awash in sea water for days,
stepped on and lines rubbing constantly.
Any suggestions besides letting turn green and brasso every other
week???

U.S.Paint's Awlbrite.

Cheers,
Chris

Keith

Are you thinking about Imron? I've had reasonable success on brass bells
with about 10 coats of clear polyurethane, but they didn't have lines
rubbing against them all the time. I think that's what you're going to find
is the real problem.

Personally, on the bell I have now, I polish once a week with 3M's metal
restorer and polish, which is like Flitz, etc. It's easier than trying to
remove all those coats of finish after about a year, when it'll start
tarnishing anyway.

BTW, best way to get rid of really bad tarnishing on brass or bronze is to
mix up 1 tablespoon of Citric acid (sour salt) per cup of hot water with a
couple of drops of dish detergent as a wetting agent. Soak until it turns
red. This will polish off easily, leaving you with some nice clean metal.

--

Keith
__
"Chris" wrote in message
m...
Hello and thank you in advance for your suggestions. I'm in the
process of refinishing my boat. The exterior Port lights and fairleads
are of solid bronze. I'm going to sand and polish to a bright finish
and need to coat with a urethane, or some other durable product that
will protect the polished finish and keep all gleaming and not turning
green. I once coated with a two part DuPont product (forget the name)
and it lasted for a reasonable time. I'm aware that there are new
products out there that will under these harsh conditions guarantee a
ten year protection but as yet have not located the company or
product.

Again this is an exterior project, often awash in sea water for days,
stepped on and lines rubbing constantly.
Any suggestions besides letting turn green and brasso every other
week???

Scott Downey

use Nyalic
www.nyalic.com
works especially well on metal

"Chris" wrote in message
m...
Hello and thank you in advance for your suggestions. I'm in the
process of refinishing my boat. The exterior Port lights and fairleads
are of solid bronze. I'm going to sand and polish to a bright finish
and need to coat with a urethane, or some other durable product that
will protect the polished finish and keep all gleaming and not turning
green. I once coated with a two part DuPont product (forget the name)
and it lasted for a reasonable time. I'm aware that there are new
products out there that will under these harsh conditions guarantee a
ten year protection but as yet have not located the company or
product.

Again this is an exterior project, often awash in sea water for days,
stepped on and lines rubbing constantly.
Any suggestions besides letting turn green and brasso every other
week???

Fred Williams

Back while an indentured servant to Uncle Sam, we polished an unpained metal
deck with unsweetened lemon drink powder and water using a Navy issue floor
buffer. Sunglasses were recommended for viewing! :-) Ah, those military
minds!

"Keith" wrote in message
[...]

"Chris" wrote in message
m...
Hello and thank you in advance for your suggestions. I'm in the
process of refinishing my boat. The exterior Port lights and fairleads
are of solid bronze. I'm going to sand and polish to a bright finish
and need to coat with a urethane, or some other durable product that
will protect the polished finish and keep all gleaming and not turning
green. I once coated with a two part DuPont product (forget the name)
and it lasted for a reasonable time. I'm aware that there are new
products out there that will under these harsh conditions guarantee a
ten year protection but as yet have not located the company or
product.

Again this is an exterior project, often awash in sea water for days,
stepped on and lines rubbing constantly.
Any suggestions besides letting turn green and brasso every other
week???

BrianH

I was invited aboard a Swiss registered motor cruiser in the Adriatic this
summer and after sufficient glasses of various refreshments on the
afterdeck, commented in a jokey way that the owner should polish the brass
bell hanging there; it was dull and disfigured, unlike the rest of the
pristine vessel. This prompted someone, with another motor cruiser on the
Lake of Constance, to practically explode, saying that one never polishes
the ship's bell. In the strained pause that followed I mumbled something
about getting my coat.

Is this true? I have never had such an ornament (for that's what it seemed)
on any of my sailing boats, or is this just a central European tradition?
Just so I know for the next time.

Regards,

BrianH.