BrianH

Default exterior polished bronze coating???

I was invited aboard a Swiss registered motor cruiser in the Adriatic this
summer and after sufficient glasses of various refreshments on the
afterdeck, commented in a jokey way that the owner should polish the brass
bell hanging there; it was dull and disfigured, unlike the rest of the
pristine vessel. This prompted someone, with another motor cruiser on the
Lake of Constance, to practically explode, saying that one never polishes
the ship's bell. In the strained pause that followed I mumbled something
about getting my coat.

Is this true? I have never had such an ornament (for that's what it seemed)
on any of my sailing boats, or is this just a central European tradition?
Just so I know for the next time.

Regards,

BrianH.

"Keith" wrote in message
Are you thinking about Imron? I've had reasonable success on brass
bells with about 10 coats of clear polyurethane, but they didn't
have lines rubbing against them all the time. I think that's what
you're going to find is the real problem.

Personally, on the bell I have now, I polish once a week with 3M's
metal restorer and polish, which is like Flitz, etc. It's easier
than trying to remove all those coats of finish after about a year,
when it'll start tarnishing anyway.

BTW, best way to get rid of really bad tarnishing on brass or bronze
is to mix up 1 tablespoon of Citric acid (sour salt) per cup of hot
water with a couple of drops of dish detergent as a wetting agent.
Soak until it turns red. This will polish off easily, leaving you
with some nice clean metal.