steen

Default Epoxy Finish

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 12:03:31 UTC, "jleiby" wrote:

I am building a S&G kayak and I am finding that as I build up layers of
epoxy the finish tends to 'orange peel'

Too long time between coats - washing and sanding is needed then.
Don't recoat if you no longer can make a mark with your nail.

The gel-phase (recoatable time) greatly depends on temperature - what
you find work for you on day, may not work the next day. My gel-time
started (barely tacky) around 2-5h after prior layup

When I builded up the hull of my strip kayak, I was basically up for
about 30H in a row - in order to be within gel-phase for every layer.
You may want to check out my http.

West got a good little leaflet, whit loads of tips, how to's and info.

Have fun
--
steen - menzi.dk
Ready for OpenOffice?
Paul Oman

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"jleiby" writes:
I am building a S&G kayak and I am finding that as I build up layers of
epoxy the finish tends to 'orange peel' and requires a lot of sanding to

get
it smooth. The first coats of epoxy went on flat.

Any help would be appreciated.

-------------

I see everyone as already given you lots of useful advise, about recoat windows,
etc. However, I am pretty sure they're off the mark here as far as your
problem.

You didn't say what brand or kind of epoxy you are using. Some have surface
tension issues and will 'pull away' - bead up etc. on smooth surfaces, such as
over itself. I have just such an epoxy like that in my product line - great for
poured table tops but don't brush it on over itself!

So, suggest you try a different epoxy.....

paul oman

progressive epoxy polymers
www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

Brian D

It probably got a little too warm in the shop and the epoxy cured too
quickly. I've had that happen and rather than try to fix it (filling takes
too much epoxy), I find it easier to sand it off and then put the next coat
on when it's cooler (or use a slower hardener.)

Brian D

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My 22' Tolman Skiff project

..
"jleiby" wrote in message
I am building a S&G kayak and I am finding that as I build up layers of
epoxy the finish tends to 'orange peel' and requires a lot of sanding to

get
it smooth. The first coats of epoxy went on flat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Brian D

If the finish looks like that, it's due to a contaminant. Either the brush
as Stephen pointed out, or something on the wood. I've seen silicon do that
from an accidental overspray of silicon lube ...the stuff should be illegal
in boat shops.

Brian D

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My 22' Tolman Skiff project

..
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"jleiby" wrote in message
I didn't rinse off the amine blush in the beginning because I was under

the
impression that if you recoated with-in a day or two it was not

necessary.
Also, the epoxy I used is very low blush and I didn't notice any. I

since
have attempted to wash the surface with warm water but it didn't make

any
difference.

Mmmm..... interesting. I have never figured out why this was happening.
Did it look like this? http://www.customware.nl/boats/images/sep/10091.jpg

Meindert

Brian D

Wash it thoroughly with hot soapy (detergent) water to remove contaminants
and rinse very well, then sand it down and wash with warm ammonia water,
then try coating again.

Brian D

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My 22' Tolman Skiff project

..
It looks exactly like that!

"jleiby" wrote in message
I didn't rinse off the amine blush in the beginning because I was

under
the
impression that if you recoated with-in a day or two it was not

necessary.
Also, the epoxy I used is very low blush and I didn't notice any. I

since
have attempted to wash the surface with warm water but it didn't make

any
difference.

Mmmm..... interesting. I have never figured out why this was happening.
Did it look like this?

http://www.customware.nl/boats/images/sep/10091.jpg

Meindert

Brian D

Paul,

It sounded to me like he was using the same epoxy on all coats and 2 coats
had already gone on fine. It's not an epoxy system issue and there's no
need to change, no need for a sales pitch. If he's using the same stuff and
coated within 2 days like always, it should've gone on fine just like the
other coats already did. I'd bet your paycheck that he's managed to get a
contaminant on the boat instead.

Brian D

--

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"jleiby" writes:
[...]

Frank Hagan

Here's a trick to help get a fine finish. Clean any amine blush off
as others have said, but then just hit the high spots with a ROS or
pad sander. Don't try to sand all the epoxy off to get to the bottom
of those orange peel "valleys." You don't have to be too fussy about
getting all the sanded epoxy dust off the surface when you are done
either; just brush it off casually. Get a "Bondo" plastic auto body
spreader, which is a flexible plastic spreader available at any auto
parts store. Mix up one ounce of epoxy, and pour it out on the
surface, and use the plastic spreader to apply a very thin coat of
epoxy. A "skim coat" if you will. As you spread it out over a good
sized area,3 to 4 square feet of area, it will pick up the epoxy dust
and turn a milky white, thickening it just slightly. This is a
wonderful technique to fill in "orange peel" valleys and other small
imperfections. When cured, you will once again have a very smooth
surface.

Another tip: use a cabinet scraper instead of sand paper on the
epoxy. A cabinet scraper is a thin piece of steel that has a sharp
edge on it. Held almost vertical, and then dragged along the surface,
you'll find many of those long thin ridges peeling off easily. You
can buy them at stores like Woodworkers Warehouse. I do this before
sanding, and it really cuts down on the sanding I have to do, and in
some cases eliminates it.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 08:03:31 -0400, "jleiby"
wrote:

I am building a S&G kayak and I am finding that as I build up layers of
epoxy the finish tends to 'orange peel' and requires a lot of sanding to get
it smooth. The first coats of epoxy went on flat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

- - -
http://www.messing-about.com
Resources for the Boat Builder, Renovator and Small Boat Skipper

West epoxy - expanding under LP? BCC Boat Building 11 April 17th 04 05:37 PM
Epoxy under Varnish on deck? Ervin Charles Boat Building 5 March 7th 04 04:04 AM
Epoxy v. Poly rude Boat Building 5 February 12th 04 02:05 PM
Polyester or Epoxy? Allan Boat Building 76 January 28th 04 02:51 AM
epoxy does so pass water William R. Watt Boat Building 14 November 11th 03 12:52 PM