jleiby

Default Epoxy Finish

I am building a S&G kayak and I am finding that as I build up layers of
epoxy the finish tends to 'orange peel' and requires a lot of sanding to get
it smooth. The first coats of epoxy went on flat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Meindert Sprang

"jleiby" wrote in message
I am building a S&G kayak and I am finding that as I build up layers of
epoxy the finish tends to 'orange peel' and requires a lot of sanding to

get
it smooth. The first coats of epoxy went on flat.

Had the same problem. Did you rinse off the amine blush between coats?

Meindert

jleiby

I didn't rinse off the amine blush in the beginning because I was under the
impression that if you recoated with-in a day or two it was not necessary.
Also, the epoxy I used is very low blush and I didn't notice any. I since
have attempted to wash the surface with warm water but it didn't make any
difference.

Thanks
John

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"jleiby" wrote in message
I am building a S&G kayak and I am finding that as I build up layers of
epoxy the finish tends to 'orange peel' and requires a lot of sanding to

get
it smooth. The first coats of epoxy went on flat.

Had the same problem. Did you rinse off the amine blush between coats?

Meindert

Meindert Sprang

"jleiby" wrote in message
I didn't rinse off the amine blush in the beginning because I was under

the
impression that if you recoated with-in a day or two it was not necessary.
Also, the epoxy I used is very low blush and I didn't notice any. I since
have attempted to wash the surface with warm water but it didn't make any
difference.

Mmmm..... interesting. I have never figured out why this was happening.
Did it look like this? http://www.customware.nl/boats/images/sep/10091.jpg

Meindert

Stephen Baker

Meindert says:

Did it look like this? http://www.customware.nl/boats/images/sep/10091.jpg

That's what happens when you use a brush intended for Polyester only ;-P

Steve

Pete C

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:04:15 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:

"jleiby" wrote in message
I didn't rinse off the amine blush in the beginning because I was under

the
impression that if you recoated with-in a day or two it was not necessary.
Also, the epoxy I used is very low blush and I didn't notice any. I since
have attempted to wash the surface with warm water but it didn't make any
difference.

Mmmm..... interesting. I have never figured out why this was happening.
Did it look like this? http://www.customware.nl/boats/images/sep/10091.jpg

Hi,

Could be that silicone spray has been used nearby or contaminated
something, or it may even be anti-clog additives from sandpaper.

cheers,
Pete.

Lew Hodgett

"jleiby" writes:
I am building a S&G kayak and I am finding that as I build up layers of
epoxy the finish tends to 'orange peel' and requires a lot of sanding to

get
it smooth. The first coats of epoxy went on flat.

Any help would be appreciated.

The following is offered on a SFWIW basis, but it has allowed be to build a
55 ft boat using nothing but knitted glass, epoxy and foam.

1) Sand between every coat, regardless of how long it has been since the
previous coat of resin was laid. (I go thru a lot of 16 & 24 grit discs.
Epoxy eats sanding discs alive & a good right angle sander is your friend.)

2) Don't waste time and money trying to clean chip brushes. (I buy 2" chip
brushes of less than $0.25 each, so there is no incentive to clean them.)

3) Invest in a stainless steel Jiffy Mixer and a low cost drill motor to
power it. This simple tool will insure adequate mixing.

If you are not familiar with it, "Jiffy Mixer" is a trade name for a mixer
built in Riverside County, Ca.

Great gadget.

NOTE:

When the mixer gets full of cured epoxy, simply burn it clean with a propane
torch and start over. (Nice thing about S/S, it can handle heat.

The above has gotten me this far in my project, you may also find it
helpful.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Reynaud

"jleiby" wrote in message
I am building a S&G kayak and I am finding that as I build up layers of
epoxy the finish tends to 'orange peel' and requires a lot of sanding to

get
it smooth. The first coats of epoxy went on flat.

Had the same problem. Did you rinse off the amine blush between coats?

Meindert

I wash between coats of epoxy using vinegar then wipe clean with acetone,

this seems to do the trick.

Rey

Meindert Sprang

"Pete C" wrote in message
Could be that silicone spray has been used nearby or contaminated
something, or it may even be anti-clog additives from sandpaper.

I neved used silicone spray. So I think it is the anti-clog additive. I did
clean though, with xylene-based thinner, but probably not good enough or the
used rag was already too dirty.

Meindert

West epoxy - expanding under LP? BCC Boat Building 11 April 17th 04 05:37 PM
Epoxy under Varnish on deck? Ervin Charles Boat Building 5 March 7th 04 04:04 AM
Epoxy v. Poly rude Boat Building 5 February 12th 04 02:05 PM
Polyester or Epoxy? Allan Boat Building 76 January 28th 04 02:51 AM
epoxy does so pass water William R. Watt Boat Building 14 November 11th 03 12:52 PM