K. Smith

Default ??? about breathing under a boat

Ace-high wrote:
You can get an oilless compressor NOTE OILLESS and 50-60 ft of air
breathing hose and a regular scuba regulator. You need about 100 psi
to run a low pressure - mouth regulator. A friend just did this with a
small 120 vac compressor - it is just a little too small and it gets
hard to breath down at the 6' bottom of his keel. The comp was about
$100, the mouth reg will be maybe $100+ - look for all this stuff on
eBay.

I have a 50' hose that I use on my regular scuba tank, hi pressure and
lo pressure regulators - the extension hose goes between the hi press
reg on the tank and the lo pres regulator in the mouth.

Biggest issue for any of these is getting the connections to work -
threads - sizes, etc. Make sure that they all fit together before you
buy anything.

Apparently this is right & works pretty well, no tank fills & no rip
off BS from the dive fraternity:-). The advantage being you can't get
too deep because the little oiless compressors just can't supply the air.

The only caution is make sure you install a one way valve in the supply
line, as close as reasonable to the mouth reg. or use a specific hooker
unit mouth reg (they have an extra valve built in). The risk is that if
there's a hose failure at the surface your lungs will be exposed to atm
pressure while your chest is subject to some psi, apparently your tongue
can suffer if no valve is fitted.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:35:00 GMT, wrote:

I'd like to clean the bottom of my boat, while it's
in the water. Is there a fairly easy and economical
way of breathing while a few feet below the surface?
A snorkle won't work because I'll be going under
a houseboat, but am wondering if a hose could
be made to work, or maybe a larger piece of tubing
with a hose attached so it's small enough to be held
in your mouth. Or something...?

Ron Magen

If you are the Steve Shelikoff who is at Penns Landing {in Philly}, drop me
a line.

If you can make it up river, the club I belong to has a seawall and pretty
good beach, at low tide. Because of the tide swing, possibly you could do
the job 'standing up'. 'Ducking under' with only a dive mask.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

" "Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message

I'd like to clean the bottom of my boat, while it's
in the water. Is there a fairly easy and economical
way of breathing while a few feet below the surface?
A snorkle won't work because I'll be going under
a houseboat, but am wondering if a hose could
be made to work, or maybe a larger piece of tubing
with a hose attached so it's small enough to be held
in your mouth. Or something...?

Boatdreams

It depends on what you mean by easy and economical. E-Bay is a good place
to start for a base price on hookah systems and scuba systems. There are
current listings for both types in the $2k range and both types require
scuba certification. IMHO hepatitis vaccination out to be required too.
Marinas and sewers have a lot in common.
Regards, Boatdreams.

jcassara

Have you guys heard of Scuba? Or Snuba?

Scuba is obvious but snuba(?) is a surface compressor that
delivers air to divers up to 30' feet down. If you call your
local dive shop they usually have a list of divers who will
do these things for you. If there are no dive shops near by
try a golf course, divers collect balls from the water
traps!

John

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:35:00 GMT, wrote:

I'd like to clean the bottom of my boat, while it's
in the water. Is there a fairly easy and economical
way of breathing while a few feet below the surface?
A snorkle won't work because I'll be going under
a houseboat, but am wondering if a hose could
be made to work, or maybe a larger piece of tubing
with a hose attached so it's small enough to be held
in your mouth. Or something...?

How long can you hold your breath?

Ok, I'm not suggesting to clean the bottom this way but

seriously
though, If I'm not in a position to haul the boat and the

shaft zinc
needs to be changed, I change it by just holding my breath

for a little
bit at a time. It takes a few trips though. To make the

trips faster I
tie a loop in the end of a rope and the first trip down is

looping it
over the prop. The other end is either tied to the dock

or a stanchion.
So I can pull myself up and down with the rope quickly.

Then I take the zinc down and put a screw in by hand.

That takes a
trip. Then the other screw, another trip. Then tighten

one then the
other, two more trips. Then I take a hammer down and

pound the contacts
in, another trip. Then 2 more trips to tighten the screws

again. Then
one last trip to unloop the rope.

So it takes maybe 10 trips down to do the whole thing and

each trip is
like 6 or 7 feet long (around 4 feet over and 4 feet

down). But it's
not as bad as it sounds. One word of advice though, keep

a good knife
handy.

One time I was changing the zinc and the loop of thin line

I used to
keep the allen wrench from dropping (I tie a loop around

my wrist and
let the allen key hang from that so it's not in the way in

transit and I
don't drop it when fumbling to get it in the screw) got

snagged on
something. I think it wrapped around the shaft or prop, I

don't
remember. Well, when it was time to come up for air I

couldn't get it
untangled. So I just grabbed the knife and sliced the

line and came up.
I lost the allen key but that's better than the

alternative. From
then on I just use thin monofilament or thread or

something that's
easily snapped in case I have to. But I still carry the

knife just in
case.

Steve

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM