K. Smith

Default ??? about breathing under a boat

Ace-high wrote:
You can get an oilless compressor NOTE OILLESS and 50-60 ft of air
breathing hose and a regular scuba regulator. You need about 100 psi
to run a low pressure - mouth regulator. A friend just did this with a
small 120 vac compressor - it is just a little too small and it gets
hard to breath down at the 6' bottom of his keel. The comp was about
$100, the mouth reg will be maybe $100+ - look for all this stuff on
eBay.

I have a 50' hose that I use on my regular scuba tank, hi pressure and
lo pressure regulators - the extension hose goes between the hi press
reg on the tank and the lo pres regulator in the mouth.

Biggest issue for any of these is getting the connections to work -
threads - sizes, etc. Make sure that they all fit together before you
buy anything.

Apparently this is right & works pretty well, no tank fills & no rip
off BS from the dive fraternity:-). The advantage being you can't get
too deep because the little oiless compressors just can't supply the air.

The only caution is make sure you install a one way valve in the supply
line, as close as reasonable to the mouth reg. or use a specific hooker
unit mouth reg (they have an extra valve built in). The risk is that if
there's a hose failure at the surface your lungs will be exposed to atm
pressure while your chest is subject to some psi, apparently your tongue
can suffer if no valve is fitted.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:35:00 GMT, wrote:

I'd like to clean the bottom of my boat, while it's
in the water. Is there a fairly easy and economical
way of breathing while a few feet below the surface?
A snorkle won't work because I'll be going under
a houseboat, but am wondering if a hose could
be made to work, or maybe a larger piece of tubing
with a hose attached so it's small enough to be held
in your mouth. Or something...?