posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Peggie Hall

Default how to overcome toilet line stink?

Bill Kearney wrote:
If possible, the permanent fix is to replace the flex hose with
rigid

1.25"
PVC. (these 2 pipes are about the same size)

I wouldn't use rigid PVC in a boat. The vibrations are such that
you're looking for trouble WHEN (not if) the connections start
breaking loose.

There may be some portions of the setup that could use rigid pipe but
I doubt it.

Hard PVC pipe is ok for long straight runs, provided it's supported and
"soft coupled" to anything rigid--toilet, tank, y-valve, thru-hull
etc--with enough hose (about a foot) to allow flex and cushion shock.

It's not a good idea to use it in a system that has a lot of short runs
and bends, though...'cuz you end up with a zillion unions, all potential
leakers.

--
Peggie
----------
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Pete C

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:14:56 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Pete C wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 03:53:47 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

The only real cure for permeated sanitation hoses is replacement.
However, if you'd rather wait till fall to do that miserable job, you
can buy youreself that much time by wrapping the hoses in Saran
Wrap...it must be Saran...no other brand.

Aluminium tape will do nicely too.

You have to be very careful using aluminum tape...to make sure that it
doesn't ever come in contact anywhere with any wiring or metal. 'Cuz if
it does, galvanic corrosion and/or electrolysis is the result.

Good point, I guess a layer of duct tape or similar would take care of
that.

cheers,
Pete.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Larry

Peggie Hall wrote in news:ZSyog.109820$H71.56700
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

all potential
leakers.

Yecch....I should have learned by now NOT to read Peggie's posts right
after dinner....(c;

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
MMC

Replacing the sanitation hose can be a huge PITA and the stuff is
ridiculously expensive. If your schedule and wallet don't have room for this
now, you can get seal the outside of the hose by painting it.
I've done this with black hose, but not white so don't know what kind of
paint to use.
If there is a leak, break out the wifes platex dish washing gloves! She
probably won't want them back when your done....
MMC
wrote in message
The line from my toilet runs under the bed, through the rear wall
(transom?) of the interior and into a tank in the engine compartment.
Recently I've removed the walls from around the bottom of the bed,
and now the stink from the hose is much more noticable. It's a white
plastic hose and you can see that there is wire reinforcement within.
Is there something I can wrap the hose in, or any other methods to
reduce the amount of smell that gets out through the hose?

Thanks,
David

how to overcome toilet line stink? [email protected] General 16 June 29th 06 02:50 PM
tailpipe in saltwater when launching s o General 9 May 11th 06 08:18 PM
anchor line question RB General 15 May 1st 06 05:49 AM
Calling MaxProp with Line Cutters owners Skip Gundlach Boat Building 1 March 6th 06 12:55 AM
Calling MaxProp with Line Cutters owners Skip Gundlach Cruising 1 March 6th 06 12:55 AM