posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default how to overcome toilet line stink?

The line from my toilet runs under the bed, through the rear wall
(transom?) of the interior and into a tank in the engine compartment.
Recently I've removed the walls from around the bottom of the bed,
and now the stink from the hose is much more noticable. It's a white
plastic hose and you can see that there is wire reinforcement within.
Is there something I can wrap the hose in, or any other methods to
reduce the amount of smell that gets out through the hose?

Thanks,
David
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Chuck Gould

wrote:
The line from my toilet runs under the bed, through the rear wall
(transom?) of the interior and into a tank in the engine compartment.
Recently I've removed the walls from around the bottom of the bed,
and now the stink from the hose is much more noticable. It's a white
plastic hose and you can see that there is wire reinforcement within.
Is there something I can wrap the hose in, or any other methods to
reduce the amount of smell that gets out through the hose?

Thanks,
David

How old is the hose? The white stuff in particular goes bad every few
years and just needs to be replaced..........The black stuff is better,
but not immortal.

Are you sure the smell is coming from the hose? The hose is a common
source, but to be sure you have isolated the source of the offensive
odor, you can conduct some detective work with a damp cloth. Starting
at one end of the hose or the other, hold the damp cloth against any
fitting or joint you find and leave it for a short period of time.
Then put the damp cloth up to your nose and take a whiff. You will
absolutely know when you come across the source of the odor. In
addition to the joints and connections, place the cloth on the hose
itself.

Unless the boat is pretty new or the hose has been replaced within the
last few years, my money is on replacing the hose as the ultimate cure.
When that's done, make sure that future flushes include adequate volume
to move waste all the way to the holding tank so that "stuff" doesn't
sit and moulder in the line.

Along with sanitation hoses past their prime, inadequately vented
holding tanks are also frequent sources of offensive sewage odors. How
far from the suspected hose to the holding tank?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Peggie Hall

wrote:
The line from my toilet runs under the bed, through the rear wall
(transom?) of the interior and into a tank in the engine compartment.
Recently I've removed the walls from around the bottom of the bed,
and now the stink from the hose is much more noticable. It's a white
plastic hose and you can see that there is wire reinforcement within.
Is there something I can wrap the hose in, or any other methods to
reduce the amount of smell that gets out through the hose?

The only real cure for permeated sanitation hoses is replacement.
However, if you'd rather wait till fall to do that miserable job, you
can buy youreself that much time by wrapping the hoses in Saran
Wrap...it must be Saran...no other brand.

But first be sure the hoses ARE permeated: clean off an area of each
section of hose to remove any other from another source that may have
attached itself to the outside of the hose. Wet clean rags in HOT
water...wring 'em out, wrap one around each section of hose...use a
clean rage for each section. When the rag has cooled, remove it and
smell it. If you can smell the same odor on the hose, that hose has
permeated...if you can't smell anything, the hose is ok...we need to
find the real source of your odor.
--
Peggie
----------

Chuck Gould wrote:

Along with sanitation hoses past their prime, inadequately vented
holding tanks are also frequent sources of offensive sewage odors.

I hear from people all the time who tell me they pump out every weekend,
always rinse out their tank, and have tried every holding tank product
on the market, but still have odor inside the boat. They've just been
chasing their tails...'cuz unless the tank is leaking, odor from inside
the tank can't be the source of odor inside a boat, 'cuz unless there's
a leak, odor from inside the tank has only one place to go: out the tank
vent...although a worn out joker valve in the toilet can allow gasses
from the tank to escape into the head via the toilet. But in that case,
the odor would be confined to the head, it wouldn't permeate other parts
of the boat.

In this case, my money is on permeated sanitation hoses. And it doesn't
matter how old or new the boat is, how long it takes for a hose to
permeate--whether it ever permeates--can't be predicited. I used the
same brand/type of hose on two of my own boats...it was on the first one
for more than 7 years without a trace of odor...it permeated on the
second boat in less than 90 days.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Lee Haefele

If possible, the permanent fix is to replace the flex hose with rigid 1.25"
PVC. (these 2 pipes are about the same size) There is a glue in drain
tailpiece fitting that, by accident, connects from 1.5" flex hose to 1.25"
PVC perfectly. The PVC can have mild bends imparted with a heat gun. Long
straight runs are easiest. There are also flexible rubber T, L and straight
connectors for the PVC, referred to in a hardware store as a "Fernco".
Lee Haefele
Nauticat 33 Alesto (for sale)
Leopard 38 Alesto 2

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Bill Kearney

If possible, the permanent fix is to replace the flex hose with rigid
1.25"
PVC. (these 2 pipes are about the same size)

I wouldn't use rigid PVC in a boat. The vibrations are such that you're
looking for trouble WHEN (not if) the connections start breaking loose.

There may be some portions of the setup that could use rigid pipe but I
doubt it.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Pete C

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 03:53:47 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

The only real cure for permeated sanitation hoses is replacement.
However, if you'd rather wait till fall to do that miserable job, you
can buy youreself that much time by wrapping the hoses in Saran
Wrap...it must be Saran...no other brand.

Aluminium tape will do nicely too.

cheers,
Pete.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Brian Whatcott

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:07:42 -0400, "Lee Haefele"
wrote:

If possible, the permanent fix is to replace the flex hose with rigid 1.25"
PVC. (these 2 pipes are about the same size) There is a glue in drain
tailpiece fitting that, by accident, connects from 1.5" flex hose to 1.25"
PVC perfectly. The PVC can have mild bends imparted with a heat gun. Long
straight runs are easiest. There are also flexible rubber T, L and straight
connectors for the PVC, referred to in a hardware store as a "Fernco".
Lee Haefele
Nauticat 33 Alesto (for sale)
Leopard 38 Alesto 2

This is one of those notes that I salt away, against the day.

Thanks

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

wrote:

The only real cure for permeated sanitation hoses is replacement.
However, if you'd rather wait till fall to do that miserable job, you
can buy youreself that much time by wrapping the hoses in Saran
Wrap...it must be Saran...no other brand.

Aluminium tape will do nicely too.

You have to be very careful using aluminum tape...to make sure that it
doesn't ever come in contact anywhere with any wiring or metal. 'Cuz if
it does, galvanic corrosion and/or electrolysis is the result.
--
Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304

how to overcome toilet line stink? [email protected] General 16 June 29th 06 02:50 PM
tailpipe in saltwater when launching s o General 9 May 11th 06 08:18 PM
anchor line question RB General 15 May 1st 06 05:49 AM
Calling MaxProp with Line Cutters owners Skip Gundlach Boat Building 1 March 6th 06 12:55 AM
Calling MaxProp with Line Cutters owners Skip Gundlach Cruising 1 March 6th 06 12:55 AM