posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Chuck Gould

Default how to overcome toilet line stink?

wrote:
The line from my toilet runs under the bed, through the rear wall
(transom?) of the interior and into a tank in the engine compartment.
Recently I've removed the walls from around the bottom of the bed,
and now the stink from the hose is much more noticable. It's a white
plastic hose and you can see that there is wire reinforcement within.
Is there something I can wrap the hose in, or any other methods to
reduce the amount of smell that gets out through the hose?

Thanks,
David

How old is the hose? The white stuff in particular goes bad every few
years and just needs to be replaced..........The black stuff is better,
but not immortal.

Are you sure the smell is coming from the hose? The hose is a common
source, but to be sure you have isolated the source of the offensive
odor, you can conduct some detective work with a damp cloth. Starting
at one end of the hose or the other, hold the damp cloth against any
fitting or joint you find and leave it for a short period of time.
Then put the damp cloth up to your nose and take a whiff. You will
absolutely know when you come across the source of the odor. In
addition to the joints and connections, place the cloth on the hose
itself.

Unless the boat is pretty new or the hose has been replaced within the
last few years, my money is on replacing the hose as the ultimate cure.
When that's done, make sure that future flushes include adequate volume
to move waste all the way to the holding tank so that "stuff" doesn't
sit and moulder in the line.

Along with sanitation hoses past their prime, inadequately vented
holding tanks are also frequent sources of offensive sewage odors. How
far from the suspected hose to the holding tank?