posted to rec.boats.building

Default boat newbie needs info on repairing 14 ft leaking alum boat

Hi:

I've never had a boat before, but I just bought a 15-20 year old
14 foot aluminum boat, and 7 hp. motor.
I just want to use it on the local fishing hole -a 40-50 acre
pond (I think.)
The boat leaks at the front bottom where a couple pieces. of
aluminum come together and are riveted.
What's the best way to permanently or semi-permanently fix the
leaking area? Is there some kind of sealer that I can use, or filler?
Should it be re-riveted, or welded?
The leak isn't real bad -maybe a gallon of water every 15-20
minutes (a wild guess). Its not gushing up through, but I also
would not want to be out on the water far from shore for any length of
time.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be very appreciated.

(I only paid $125 for the boat and motor.).

Thanks

ron

posted to rec.boats.building
Bob

filler?
Should it be re-riveted, or welded?
The leak isn't real bad -maybe a gallon of water every 15-20
minutes (a wild guess). Its not gushing up through, but I also
would not want to be out on the water far from shore for any length of
time.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be very appreciated.

(I only paid $125 for the boat and motor.).

I had an 18' Al Grumman. Paid $50 for it. A bunch of cowboys had it for
a few years. not a rib left intact.

Construction adheasive on the inside will work. Drink a case of cheep
canned beer. You'll have the "repair" material needed.

Bob

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian D

Did the boat have salt exposure? The problem with rivets is that they are
only electrically bonded to the hull when they fit tightly enough. Once
they get loose, then they corrode and get more loose. There's no good fix
for that other than as you say, re-riveting ...and on most boats, it's not
worth the expense. I can't remember the name of it, but my brother found a
product that you could coat the outside of the boat with to seal up the
leaks. It was a black paint-like product, flexible, and it worked well.
Note that the standard philosophy for stopping leaking liquids is that you
put the sealer on the same side as the liquid so that the liquid presses it
against the surface you wish to seal. That's why boats with interior 'leak
fixes' and basements with 'miracle leak stop' products painted on the
interior always leak again someday ...period. If your boat were mine, I'd
look for a coating that works like the one my brother found for his and I'd
consider painting the outside of the boat to hide the black coating.

Good luck,
Brian

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

filler?
Should it be re-riveted, or welded?
The leak isn't real bad -maybe a gallon of water every 15-20
minutes (a wild guess). Its not gushing up through, but I also
would not want to be out on the water far from shore for any length of
time.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be very appreciated.

(I only paid $125 for the boat and motor.).

I had an 18' Al Grumman. Paid $50 for it. A bunch of cowboys had it for
a few years. not a rib left intact.

Construction adheasive on the inside will work. Drink a case of cheep
canned beer. You'll have the "repair" material needed.

Bob

posted to rec.boats.building
Chalatso

My 14' aluminum jon boat has the bottom liberally coated with asphalt
sealer, or "black mammy" as my dad calls it.

Mind you, this is not a boat I show off, or brag on. It's the one I use
for running a trotline, or poking around in backwaters. The
1950's-vintage Johnson 3hp is plenty to push it along with the kids and
me on board.

For a $150 jon boat, I wouldn't worry about having it riveted or welded.
A little tar should do the trick.

Chuck
posted to rec.boats.building
David

Fill up the holes with plasty Bond stuff sticks to anything as long as it is
cleaned of scale, rust and paint.
Lushy

Brian D wrote:
...and on most boats, it's not
worth the expense. I can't remember the name of it, but my brother found a
product that you could coat the outside of the boat with to seal up the
leaks.
Good luck,
Brian

Gluv-it

Two part epoxy stuff painted on outside of boat. The aluminum drift
boat guys in the PNW like it. Marketed as a boat bottom "sealer"
but.............

ONce a year applicatins you may find that cheep boat is not so cheep
any moor. So whats so wrong with a little water in the bottom of your
boat? Seem t me soggy sneekers are a SOP.

Bottom Job Bob

posted to rec.boats.building

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:56:36 -0400, wrote:

(snipped original message)

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your ideas and responses.

I think I've now got several good options to choose from.

ron

Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
re-floating a capsized boat CJ2 ASA 0 October 14th 05 01:39 AM
Old Tyme Boat Brochure Photos, Amusing attire [email protected] General 81 October 13th 05 05:48 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM