Rob

Default Installing Anchor Chocks?

I an installing stainless steel Anchor Chocks on the deck of my Bayliner
2850. Should I use machine screws and drill all the way through to the
V-Birth using plywood as backing with washers and nuts? Or just use wood
screws and zap then in with a pilot hole?

Should I use 3-M 5200 or another type of sealant under the chocks?

Thanks!

Wayne.B

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:17:24 GMT, "Rob"
wrote:
I an installing stainless steel Anchor Chocks on the deck of my Bayliner
2850. Should I use machine screws and drill all the way through to the
V-Birth using plywood as backing with washers and nuts? Or just use wood
screws and zap then in with a pilot hole?

Should I use 3-M 5200 or another type of sealant under the chocks?

====================================

3M 5200 is not a good idea because it is very difficult to remove at a
later date if that ever becomes necessary. Through bolting of
fittings is always good practice but it could be argued that the
anchor chocks are relatively low stress and don't really need it. The
best backing material is aluminum or stainless steel, not plywood. I
frequently use stainless steel shoulder washers (oversize washers
available at West Marine) for small projects like this.

Your biggest concern is keeping water out of your deck core over the
long term. This is important for avoiding core rot which is fairly
common. If you want to be totally cautious, drill oversize holes,
seal with tape from below, fill with epoxy resin, allow resin to
harden, and redrill holes to correct size. This will seal the deck
core from moisture even if the bedding compound eventually leaks.

Installing new lift cylinder on power Tilt/trim [email protected] General 0 June 28th 04 03:36 PM
installing a water seperating fuel Ethan General 4 May 21st 04 12:23 AM
Installing a ski pylon Ethan General 4 March 8th 04 07:58 PM
Installing hull lights? werlax General 0 February 5th 04 02:13 AM
Installing storage - cutting aluminum bench, dangerous? No Spam General 3 July 16th 03 10:57 PM