Ethan

Default Installing a ski pylon

I am considering installing a ski pylon in my 19 foot bow rider that is
outfitted with a 115HP outboard. The pylon would have a center pole and two
supporting poles. Are these difficult to install? What do you use as a
backing to support the load? What else should I know before taking on this
project. I can save about $150 if I do this myself.

Thanks

Ethan

Mickey

Hi Ethan

I put one of those on my 16ft Thunderbird openbow and it has worked great
for years now. My dad likes to have it in the boat when we go salmon fishing
out in the ocean for something to hang on to, he's 85 so no comments about
sea legs.

My kids and many of their friends have kneeboarded and wakeboarded off of
the pylon liking the higher (4') tow point for jumps but you won't get the
air that you can with the 10' towers I have yet to ski behind one of those
boats. My kids bought me a wakeboard for fathers day about 7 years ago and I
fooled them and learned how with that pylon helping a bunch. I finally got
my 260 plus pounds up on that wakeboard and have been hooked since, even
snowboard now too.

Installation isn't too hard I just centered the mounting plate that the pole
screws into on the floor of my boat using moly type screws where I didn't
have anything solid under the floor. Watch out for a under deck gas tank if
you have one so that you don't drill in it, that would eat up your savings
in a heartbeat. The back supports fit naturally on the back deck of my boat
but I was concerned with the thinness of that area so I bolstered that area
with a little more fiberglass from underneath which has worked well for
years now.

They do caution you not to tow inflatables from the tower and judging from
my wifes reactions when I swing my large ass around to attempt a jump and
the boat leans an inflatable might be able to pull a boat over.

Good luck
Mick

"Ethan" wrote in message
et...
I am considering installing a ski pylon in my 19 foot bow rider that is
outfitted with a 115HP outboard. The pylon would have a center pole and

two
supporting poles. Are these difficult to install? What do you use as a
backing to support the load? What else should I know before taking on this
project. I can save about $150 if I do this myself.

Thanks

Ethan

Jim Brinson

Ethan, a buck and a half seems quite high to install a pylon, unless
extensive reinforcement is needed.
Assuming that you have a relatively flat area to work with on your rear
deck/ transom well area, the job should go smoothly. If the rear deck is
thick enough and/or backed up with wood you may be able to get away
with using just screws for the rear mounts.
The preferred method obviously is to thru bolt those mounts. Easily done
if you are able to gain access to the underside of the deck. Many boats
are filled with floatation in that area. You would then need to remove
enough flotation to gain access. (If you end up removing more than a
handful you really should replace the flotation - it's there for a reason)
Be careful in selecting the location for the main pole mount. (Drilling
into your fuel tank can ruin your day). You typically will use very
large screws for securing the mount. My suggestion is that if the floor
at that point is not over 1/2" thick that you cut a square piece of 3/4"
plywood and secure it over the mounting location and then attach your
mount to the plywood. Hopefully you will be able to dress it with some
spare floor covering material.
Good luck and good boating,
Jim

Ethan wrote:
I am considering installing a ski pylon in my 19 foot bow rider that is
outfitted with a 115HP outboard. The pylon would have a center pole and two
supporting poles. Are these difficult to install? What do you use as a
backing to support the load? What else should I know before taking on this
project. I can save about $150 if I do this myself.

Thanks

Ethan

Lawrence James

I like to use kitchen cutting board as backing. It cuts with wood tools,
adheres with epoxy, and will not rot. Bolt thru is best but even with wood
screws using a backing and a longer screw is much more secure. Investigate
behind where you will be drilling very carefully. Finding out there is a
problem with the location afte you drill holes is a bummer. Sometimes even
after I'm pretty certain I will drill the first hole with a 1/16 bit to
confirm it comes out when I think it is going to. Also use a bigger bit or
a counter sink to remove the gel coat around your holes before putting
screws in will help prevent cracks in the surrounding gelcoat.

"Ethan" wrote in message
et...
I am considering installing a ski pylon in my 19 foot bow rider that is
outfitted with a 115HP outboard. The pylon would have a center pole and

two
supporting poles. Are these difficult to install? What do you use as a
backing to support the load? What else should I know before taking on this
project. I can save about $150 if I do this myself.

Thanks

Ethan

Rod McInnis

"Ethan" wrote in message
et...
I am considering installing a ski pylon in my 19 foot bow rider that is
outfitted with a 115HP outboard. The pylon would have a center pole and

two
supporting poles. Are these difficult to install?

If you can get access to the spot where you need to install it, no, it
should be easy.

On most of the boats I have owned, however, it would have been a real pain
in the ass. Figure out where the mounts go, then see if you can manage to
reach up behind that spot to put a backing plate on and thread a nut onto a
bolt. You may need to get a wrench in there too.

Sometimes it is handy to be (or know) a really skinny contortionist.

Rod

Installing hull lights? werlax General 0 February 5th 04 02:13 AM
Installing storage - cutting aluminum bench, dangerous? No Spam General 3 July 16th 03 10:57 PM