No Spam

Default Installing storage - cutting aluminum bench, dangerous?

I have a basic aluminum 14' boat with benches, I want to install the Hatches
and Liners (see link below) so that I can store my stuff or use it as
livewell.

My question is: Can I cut 11" x 15" rectangle on the aluminum bench to fit
the storage compartment? if I cut it, will that weaken the bench or the
structure of my boat?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...1527ii 01.jpg

Thanks for help.

Boating Newbie

No Spam

Yeah.. there are styrofoam... are they designed for emergency when the boat
sink? I really don't know much about that... thanks for tips.

Boating Newbie

"noah" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:34:09 GMT, "No Spam"
wrote:

I have a basic aluminum 14' boat with benches, I want to install the

Hatches
and Liners (see link below) so that I can store my stuff or use it as
livewell.

My question is: Can I cut 11" x 15" rectangle on the aluminum bench to

fit
the storage compartment? if I cut it, will that weaken the bench or the
structure of my boat?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...l-item.jhtml?i

d=0001527011144a&navAction=jump&navCount=8&indexId =cat21314&podId=0001527&ca
talogCode=ID&parentId=cat21314&parentType=index&ri d=&cmCat=&_DARGS=%2Fcabela
s%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2F%2Fa1460.g.ak
amai.net%2Ff%2F1460%2F1339%2F6h%2Fwww.cabelas.com% 2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcontent%2
FPod%2F00%2F15%2F27%2Fp001527ii01.jpg

Thanks for help.

Boating Newbie

BN- cutting the bench will weaken it a little, but since most of the
stress is carried by the vertical sections, you should be OK. I would
be more concerned about removing any floatation contained in the
bench. Reach your hand up under the bench, and see if you can feel
styrofoam. If so, removing same will reduce your boats' ability to
stay afloat after a swamping. Something to think about.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

noah

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:54:53 GMT, "No Spam"
wrote:

Yeah.. there are styrofoam... are they designed for emergency when the boat
sink? I really don't know much about that... thanks for tips.

Boating Newbie

Yes, it's there to prevent your boat from sinking if "something bad"
happens. If you remove flotation to fit your dry-boxes, try to add
some in another location.

Another way to gain a live-well is to set up a cooler with a
"bait-saver" pump, and use that instead. They work very well, and can
can be found at Wal-Mart, etc. Saves you work, and saves the
flotation.
noah

.. .
wrote:

[...]

gatt

"No Spam"

My question is: Can I cut 11" x 15" rectangle on the aluminum bench to fit
the storage compartment? if I cut it, will that weaken the bench or the
structure of my boat?

I have a 220' battlebot with an aluminum frame that has sustained enormous
amounts of impact, weight and stress and the whole frame weighs about 10
lbs. Aluminum plate is weak stuff but it's easy to reinforce.

Go to Metal Supermarket or some other store and get a stick of 3/4" square
Al tubing with 1/8" wall if you want to significantly reinforce the bench
without adding any weight. Just bolt a couple of sticks underneath the
bench with 1/4-20 stainless machine bolts and it's done.

It'll cost under $10, weighs about a pound, and you can cut it and drill it
about as easy as wood. (Or just use wood, but aluminum won't rot and it has
a greater strength/weight ratio.)

-gatt