No Spam

Default Installing storage - cutting aluminum bench, dangerous?

Yeah.. there are styrofoam... are they designed for emergency when the boat
sink? I really don't know much about that... thanks for tips.

Boating Newbie

"noah" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:34:09 GMT, "No Spam"
wrote:

I have a basic aluminum 14' boat with benches, I want to install the

Hatches
and Liners (see link below) so that I can store my stuff or use it as
livewell.

My question is: Can I cut 11" x 15" rectangle on the aluminum bench to

fit
the storage compartment? if I cut it, will that weaken the bench or the
structure of my boat?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...l-item.jhtml?i

d=0001527011144a&navAction=jump&navCount=8&indexId =cat21314&podId=0001527&ca
talogCode=ID&parentId=cat21314&parentType=index&ri d=&cmCat=&_DARGS=%2Fcabela
s%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2F%2Fa1460.g.ak
amai.net%2Ff%2F1460%2F1339%2F6h%2Fwww.cabelas.com% 2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcontent%2
FPod%2F00%2F15%2F27%2Fp001527ii01.jpg

Thanks for help.

Boating Newbie

BN- cutting the bench will weaken it a little, but since most of the
stress is carried by the vertical sections, you should be OK. I would
be more concerned about removing any floatation contained in the
bench. Reach your hand up under the bench, and see if you can feel
styrofoam. If so, removing same will reduce your boats' ability to
stay afloat after a swamping. Something to think about.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats