Wayne.B

Default Fuel Tank Construction

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:15:54 -0700, Mark wrote:

Have you really thought this through. You need several hard estimates
before you close the deal.

I've gotten several estimates (all over $30K), and a large enough
survey adjustment to make for a satisfactory deal.

Have you had any tanks made from 1/4 or 5/16 aluminum? I'm
particularly looking for fabrication advice regarding coatings,
geometry, baffles, fill/vent/drain fittings, etc.

The tanks will be made by a contractor but I want to be sure they are
spec'd properly.

Evan Gatehouse

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:15:54 -0700, Mark wrote:

Have you really thought this through. You need several hard estimates
before you close the deal.

I've gotten several estimates (all over $30K), and a large enough
survey adjustment to make for a satisfactory deal.

Have you had any tanks made from 1/4 or 5/16 aluminum? I'm
particularly looking for fabrication advice regarding coatings,
geometry, baffles, fill/vent/drain fittings, etc.

The tanks will be made by a contractor but I want to be sure they are
spec'd properly.

I'd hire a naval architect for a day. Stuff like designing a 500 gallon
tank probably should not be left to a contractor.

Baffles will be absolutely required, about every 24-30", External
stiffeners will probably be required, depending on the head on the tank
(height from bottom of tank to top of the vent). Geometry - will you
duplicate the existing tanks?

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Wayne.B

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:15:17 -0700, "Evan Gatehouse"
wrote:

Geometry - will you
duplicate the existing tanks?

===========================

The existing tanks are hard to see until taken out.

DSK

"Wayne.B" wrote

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
I'd hire a naval architect for a day. Stuff like designing a 500 gallon
tank probably should not be left to a contractor.

Agree strongly! While I hesitate to suggest that it *must* be an
adversarial relationship, you really don't want the low-bid contractor
doing both the design and construction. If you're going to drop that
much money, you should spend the small amount extra to get a proper
design for the tanks.

Also I am slightly surprised that nobody suggested Monel... if it's
going to cost that much anyway...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

fuel tank cleaning kozmo6969 General 3 June 11th 04 07:00 PM
97 sea ray sundancer fuel tank? Run all 8 General 1 April 17th 04 07:34 PM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 02:28 PM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Boat Building 7 February 19th 04 08:00 PM
Fuel Tank Clog....Please help!! Doug Trowbridge General 3 July 18th 03 02:33 AM