William R. Watt

Default microbaloons same a laser toner?

I've never worked with or even seen the microbaloons used as filler in
resins on boats, but I've heard they are tiny clear plastic spheres. The
toner used in photocopiers and computer printers is also tiny plastic
spheres (to print they are melted into the paper). I was wondering if
laser toner could be used to thicken the resins. Laser toner, being
produced in large volumes would probably cost less than microbaloons. Just
a thought.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Glenn Ashmore

Not likely considering what it cost to get a toner cartrige refilled
with just a few oz.

William R. Watt wrote:
I've never worked with or even seen the microbaloons used as filler in
resins on boats, but I've heard they are tiny clear plastic spheres. The
toner used in photocopiers and computer printers is also tiny plastic
spheres (to print they are melted into the paper). I was wondering if
laser toner could be used to thicken the resins. Laser toner, being
produced in large volumes would probably cost less than microbaloons. Just
a thought.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Lew Hodgett

"William R. Watt" writes:
I've never worked with or even seen the microbaloons used as filler in
resins on boats, but I've heard they are tiny clear plastic spheres. The
toner used in photocopiers and computer printers is also tiny plastic
spheres (to print they are melted into the paper). I was wondering if
laser toner could be used to thicken the resins. Laser toner, being
produced in large volumes would probably cost less than microbaloons. Just
a thought.

Very doubtful but at about $0.60/lb for generic 7.5#/ft3 balloons, why
bother?

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Steve Lusardi

I don't know about your microballoons, but my microbaloons are glass, not
plastic.
Steve
"William R. Watt" wrote in message
I've never worked with or even seen the microbaloons used as filler in
resins on boats, but I've heard they are tiny clear plastic spheres. The
toner used in photocopiers and computer printers is also tiny plastic
spheres (to print they are melted into the paper). I was wondering if
laser toner could be used to thicken the resins. Laser toner, being
produced in large volumes would probably cost less than microbaloons. Just
a thought.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Brian Nystrom

Steve Lusardi wrote:
I don't know about your microballoons, but my microbaloons are glass, not
plastic.

They're also hollow, which is why they're called "balloons".

Stephen Baker

Scotty says:

As long as the resin does not dissolve the stuff, you can thicken it
with almost anything, even recycled and powdered three year old boats
made of cardboard and polyester ;-O

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but that sounds suspiciously like experience talking
there. ;-)

Steve
Glenn Ashmore

Steve Lusardi wrote:
I don't know about your microballoons, but my microbaloons are glass, not
plastic.
Steve

You can get them in glass, thermoset urethane or phenolic.

Also phenolic is a thermoset plastic. Laser toner is thermoplastic
microSPHERES. Not balloons.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

William R. Watt

Jim Conlin ) writes:
Are we being trolled?

it was not long before the Interent creation created this new way of
responding to creative thought

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm