D. Reid

Default microbaloons same a laser toner?

Actually balloons are indeed microscopic quartz spheres and are hollow. Some
are composed of glass.
"Micro" as the mix is sometimes refered to, can be used in different
viscosities depending on the Resin to balloons ratio.
It is NOT and should never be used as a structural filler. It is primarely
used to improve or fair a surface and improve sanding qualities and surface
smoothness after which it is usually primed and painted.

Structural fillers are composed of milled glass fibers, fumed silica
(cab-o-sil) and chopped cotton fibers (strongest to weakest).

Common bulk fillers would be WEST system "High and Low Density" fillers
which I have heard from from a few sources is actually talc and diamatious
(sp) earth or a combination of the two. I have used both with great success.

All of the above should be handled with safety in mind. These items can be
ingested into the lungs and eyes not only during mixing but sanding
operations as well. Remember..."Safety Always"!

I think the copy toner idea could have some possibilities but dont think I
would care to explore them...mainly due to cost and not to mention the mess.
The thermal plastic spheres are coated with carbon black through a
ionazation process. I have changed a number of printer and copy machine
toner carts and I cant even LOOK at the thing without getting it all over me
and everything else in the area but then...maybe it's just me.

Best wishes,
David Reid

"William R. Watt" wrote in message
I've never worked with or even seen the microbaloons used as filler in
resins on boats, but I've heard they are tiny clear plastic spheres. The
toner used in photocopiers and computer printers is also tiny plastic
spheres (to print they are melted into the paper). I was wondering if
laser toner could be used to thicken the resins. Laser toner, being
produced in large volumes would probably cost less than microbaloons. Just
a thought.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Stephen Baker

Scotty says:

Well, this may be a first but you are wrong.

Sure ain't the first time for me being wrong!

I should be careful as I
am probably not well known for sarcasm

You just need the add the sarcasm /sarcasm tags so we can tell. ;-)

Steve
Backyard Renegade

Jim Conlin wrote in message ...
Are we being trolled?

Probably not... William is, well let's say, er, um, a forward thinker
who is always looking for the best and cheapest way of throwing
together boats, a noble quest. Sometimes taken a little too far in my
opinion, but not a troll, not on this group anyway Now if you are
an elitist paddler with a eurosnob attitude, he may just bite your ass
however, just my opinion.
Scotty the troll