posted to rec.boats.building
Bob La Londe

Default I saw a Bateau boat on the road the day before yesterday.

It was pretty cool. Not the prettiest boat I ever saw, but I was impressed
with how firm that little boat was.

I was pulling into a little sporting goods store, and the fellow pulling the
boat pulled into the gas station out front. I just had to go out and chat
with the guy a bit.

One thing that has been scaring me off on boat building is the 1/4" plywood.
I know that fiberglass is incredibly strong, and a 1/4" or more of
fiberglass wouldn't phase me a bit. BUT, I can put my fist through a piece
of 1/4 ply without hurting my hand.

After I chatted with the guy a bit I tapped on the hull and asked if it was
1/4." Seemed solid. I smacked it harder, and it didn't even flex. Wow.
Ply with glass on both sides is incredibly strong. I wonder how it will
hold up to impact with an ironwood stump fishing some little backwater in
the river?

The boat was a small planing Garvey. The fellow claimed he could get 35 MPH
out of it. Seems awfully fast for such a small boat to be safe, but then I
supposed some people say that about me when I buzz by them in my bass boat
at 65-70 mph.

I'm gonna have to make me one of those. LOL. I don't have any small motors
laying around though. The smallest I have is an old 50, so I guess I'll
have to start with something as bit bigger. Not much though.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

posted to rec.boats.building
Evan Gatehouse

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Sounds like my GV13 (sold at Bateau). 35 MPH is a fair bit faster
than I expected anybody to be going. I shall have to upgrade the
scantlings a bit. I was thinking more like 25 MPH as top speeds.

Evan Gatehouse

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Sounds about right on the boat.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River
Fishing Forums & Contests
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Bob, I don't know where you're buying your 1/4" ply, but if you put your
fist thru the Okume that I'm using, you won't get it back.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
.. .
snip
One thing that has been scaring me off on boat building is the 1/4"
plywood.
I know that fiberglass is incredibly strong, and a 1/4" or more of
fiberglass wouldn't phase me a bit. BUT, I can put my fist through a
piece
of 1/4 ply without hurting my hand.

posted to rec.boats.building
bushman

quick story:
I go to my parents for dinner and in the driveway is this a half cylinder
thing with an 8 pound sledge by it. My dad says hit it with the sledge. Why?
See if you can break it. Why? I made it I want to see how strong it is. He
is being a jerk about it so I hit it as hard as I can. I had trouble holding
my fork at dinner. What the hell is that? That is a mockup for my hull. What
hull? The hull of my boat. What boat? The boat I am going to build.
They have been living aboard that boat for like 6 years now.
-oh yeah it was 1/4 inch plywood strips with glass.
-Allen

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I am wondering why Bateau called their GV13 as "inspired from the
Classis Boston Whaler 13". The Boston-Whaler-13 seems to have a
tri-hulls and the GV13 is nothing like that (based on the pictures in
Bateau web site). What's make the GV13 similar to the
Boston-Whaler-13? Does GV13 also provide a wide boat body for good
stability? Does GV13 also provide a roomy interior space for seating?
What does GV13 have to give up by not using a tri-hull design?

I must say that I am quite interested in Boston-Whaler-13 when it was
shown in ShipShape-TV. Therefore, I would like to hear more about it
and its look-a-like.

Any info is appreciated.

Jay Chan

wrote:

I am wondering why Bateau called their GV13 as "inspired from the
Classis Boston Whaler 13". The Boston-Whaler-13 seems to have a
tri-hulls and the GV13 is nothing like that (based on the pictures in
Bateau web site). What's make the GV13 similar to the
Boston-Whaler-13? Does GV13 also provide a wide boat body for good
stability? Does GV13 also provide a roomy interior space for seating?
What does GV13 have to give up by not using a tri-hull design?

I must say that I am quite interested in Boston-Whaler-13 when it was
shown in ShipShape-TV. Therefore, I would like to hear more about it
and its look-a-like.

Any info is appreciated.

Jay Chan

O.k. I'll try not to sound too much like a commercial for Bateau here
(I'm the designer)

"Inspired by" means to me that it was designed to fulfill the same
function as the BW 13: a wide beamed general purpose boat for fishing,
waterskiing, a tender for a large yacht - without the horrible ride.

If you've ever ridden in a older Boston Whaler in rough water, you'll
know what I'm talking about. The Tri-hull is an interesting shape
forward, but from amidships aft it's quite flat and pounds a fair bit.
The GV13 is a moderate deadrise somewhat warped monohedran - which
means it has more V forward and less aft, but it is still a V aft.

It's also a _lot_ lighter because it is a plywood stitch and glue hull
without an inner liner and all that foam. But the ply hull is covered
inside and out on the bottom panels with biaxial fabric, so it's
probably a bit more hightech in construction than the BW. It takes
extra HP to plane the BW because it is perhaps 400 lbs v.s. the GV13's
170 lbs.

It is indeed a fairly wide beamed hull with lots of stability, similar
seating (actually a bit more but BW had a lot of different seating
layouts - most of them were 2 benches + bow; GV13 is 3 benches + bow)

Commercial over....

Evan Gatehouse

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

Evan expressed it very well.
The original Whaler set new standards (if the history buffs will not mention
the Hickman Sea Sled) in carrying capacity, stability, robust fiberglass
construction and shake-your-fillings-out ride. A good Garvey design such as
the GV13 accomplishes a much better compromise.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I appreciate Jim and you taking the time to explain the
differences and similarities between Boston Whaler 13 and your GV13.

Seem like GV13 is a good choice for people who wants to build a
small/stable boat and want the boat to be light.

Jay Chan

Interesting boat ride on a 26 Twin Vee [email protected] General 5 March 29th 06 05:58 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 18th 06 05:48 AM
Hey Doug check this out Joe ASA 15 January 13th 06 11:10 PM
Need a Plan to Protect Boat from UV and Mildew All Year Round - 2 [email protected] General 2 December 15th 05 06:25 AM
Old Tyme Boat Brochure Photos, Amusing attire [email protected] General 81 October 13th 05 05:48 PM