posted to rec.boats.building
Bob La Londe

Default I saw a Bateau boat on the road the day before yesterday.

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
It was pretty cool. Not the prettiest boat I ever saw, but I was

impressed
with how firm that little boat was.

I was pulling into a little sporting goods store, and the fellow pulling

the
boat pulled into the gas station out front. I just had to go out and

chat
with the guy a bit.

One thing that has been scaring me off on boat building is the 1/4"

plywood.
I know that fiberglass is incredibly strong, and a 1/4" or more of
fiberglass wouldn't phase me a bit. BUT, I can put my fist through a

piece
of 1/4 ply without hurting my hand.

After I chatted with the guy a bit I tapped on the hull and asked if it

was
1/4." Seemed solid. I smacked it harder, and it didn't even flex. Wow.
Ply with glass on both sides is incredibly strong. I wonder how it will
hold up to impact with an ironwood stump fishing some little backwater

in
the river?

The boat was a small planing Garvey. The fellow claimed he could get 35

MPH
out of it. Seems awfully fast for such a small boat to be safe, but

then I
supposed some people say that about me when I buzz by them in my bass

boat
at 65-70 mph.

I'm gonna have to make me one of those. LOL. I don't have any small

motors
laying around though. The smallest I have is an old 50, so I guess I'll
have to start with something as bit bigger. Not much though.

Sounds like my GV13 (sold at Bateau). 35 MPH is a fair bit faster
than I expected anybody to be going. I shall have to upgrade the
scantlings a bit. I was thinking more like 25 MPH as top speeds.

Evan Gatehouse

Sounds about right on the boat.

--
Bob La Londe