Parallax

Default Stevenson Minicup

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
(Parallax) wrote in message om...
____m___~ΏΤ___m____ wrote in message ...
Parallax wrote:

(Parallax) wrote in message
. com...
(Parallax) wrote in message
. com...
(Parallax) wrote in message
. com...
(bookieb) wrote in message
om...
(Parallax) wrote in message
snip

BTW, I used the 1/8" wall X 2" OD material for the mast but used .050"
wall X 2" for the gaff and boom. Seems to work well.

Got transom installed on #2.

BTW, instead of using duct tape for my sail, I used the double sided
glass reinforced carpet tape at the seams. Since the adhesive surface
area is larger, it should hold better. I used single sided glass
reinforced carpet tape to reinforce high stress areas such as around
the pulleys on the boom.

Past two days of rain have really slowed down #2. I have no sheltered
area to work on them and was fortunate on #1 to have an historically
long period with no rain. Every day, I would have to wait till the
dew dried before working, now I have to wait till the rain dries but
now we will have regular afternoon showers, hmmmm.
Worked on #2 daggerboard.

Events seem to be conspiring to keep me from getting much done. Rain
every afternoon. A birthday party on Saturday, a block party on
Sunday. My wife in hospital for hysterectomy. I thought that when I
was not visiting her and not working or helping the kids, I could get
in a few minutes this afternoon. Instead, my 17 yr old daughter backs
over my wifes 15 yr old deaf and blind Golden Retriever. At first I
thought she had a broken back and was ready to do what had to be done
but tried to get her out from under the car with a sheet of ply.
Suddenly, she comes around, acts confused. Took her to vet and he
says she may be ok, amazing.
However, I did get the rudder and tiller for #2 cut out. Am having a
few probs with upper side stringers on #2. The sides were bowed so
much the stringer broke. I plan to glue the stringer back to correct
shape and have slit the side from top to bottom so I can bend the
edges to meet the stringer. I will have to glass this slit but thats
ok.
#1 (Tadpole) had a lot of use over Memorial day weekend and had a
little damage. I dropped her about 1' onto a concrete block and put a
gash in her bottom, a little glass and she is fixed.
No progress on the trailer yet.
Stephen Baker

Parallax says:

Events seem to be conspiring to keep me from getting much done.

Time to get on that mountain bike and go find some dirt - change of pace, kinda
thing...

Steve "AM-B refugee"
Parallax

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
ospam (Stephen Baker) wrote in message ...
Parallax says:

Events seem to be conspiring to keep me from getting much done.

Time to get on that mountain bike and go find some dirt - change of pace, kinda
thing...

Steve "AM-B refugee"

I liked mountain biking but found that arthritis in my wrists and
elbows (aggravated by years of caving) made it difficult to hold the
handlebars through more than 15 minutes of rough trails. 48 yrs isnt
really not THAT old.
Unfortunately, the old Golden Retriever had to be "put down" as the
vet felt she would never recover due to being so old. Fortunately, my
wife had been released from the hospital so we sorta managed to have
her hobble into the vets office to say goodbye.
Managed to put some glue on upper stringers of #2. Began reinforcing
the rudder box of #1 by extending its sides to also better hold the
tiller so it cant jump out. It was easier to simply add another layer
of 1/4" ply to the upper part of the tiller box than to make another
box with thicker sides.

Substantial progress on #2. The upper stringers just were not going
to work with the radical bowing of the sides so I had totake off the
sides from the bow back to the cockpit. Forced the stringers to
follow the correct curve and fastend them at the bow. Made 3 vertical
cuts in each side from top to bottom stringer to allow the sides to
follow the stringer. Made reinforcements to go on the inside of the
sides on the cuts. FINALLY, am at the point of sealing the inside and
painting the inside.
I have decided that the construction directions represent an IDEAL
that can rarely be achieved in practice (at least for me). In order
to get it done, I attempt to follow the directions and try several
times. Finally, it may be necessary to find a "work around". My
experience on #1 shows that this works.

On #2, I am trying not to use any fibreglas because it caused about a
week of finishing problems on #1 by having bubbles underneath.
Fortunately, I have gotten away from the "Gorilla Glue" and am using
only epoxy now which gives me a lot of confidence.

A little progress on the trailer. The $139 trailer from Northern Tool
arrived with NO directions so I follow a process of elimination;
eliminating most of the incorrect ways to assemble.

Rain is causing problems for me as I have to wait for the boat to dry
when I forget to cover it. Serious heat (+95 degrees and high
humidity) but working on the boat is helping me with my yearly
acclimatization to the heat.

Stephen Baker

Parallax says:

I liked mountain biking but found that arthritis in my wrists and
elbows (aggravated by years of caving) made it difficult to hold the
handlebars through more than 15 minutes of rough trails. 48 yrs isnt
really not THAT old.

Yeah, the wrists can be a pain (pun intended). And 48 definitely ISN'T that
old, I'm 49 and still manage to ride a fair amount.

Unfortunately, the old Golden Retriever had to be "put down"

Condolences.

Fortunately, my
wife had been released from the hospital so we sorta managed to have
her hobble into the vets office to say goodbye.

Dang! If I had known you had so much going on I would never have tried to wax
funny about the mountain-biking thing.

FINALLY, am at the point of sealing the inside and
painting the inside.

There you go! Grats.

Steve
Stephen Baker

Parallax says:

snip

Also remembered that failure to properly countersink some screws on
the hull caused substantial delays in the finishing of #1 so I spent
several hours removing most screws countersinking more and replacing
to make sure they were really below the surface on #2.

ahhhhhh..... my favourite problem (as in the one I do most often) I don't
feel alone any more ;-)
I do find, however, that it is only really a problem in hardwoods, since I
usually underdrill the holes at the same time, making it inevitable that the
head shears off when I try to back it out to increase the 'sink.

Steve "now you know why I design 'em, not build 'em..."
Parallax

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
ospam (Stephen Baker) wrote in message ...
Parallax says:

snip

Also remembered that failure to properly countersink some screws on
the hull caused substantial delays in the finishing of #1 so I spent
several hours removing most screws countersinking more and replacing
to make sure they were really below the surface on #2.

ahhhhhh..... my favourite problem (as in the one I do most often) I don't
feel alone any more ;-)
I do find, however, that it is only really a problem in hardwoods, since I
usually underdrill the holes at the same time, making it inevitable that the
head shears off when I try to back it out to increase the 'sink.

Steve "now you know why I design 'em, not build 'em..."

More progress on #2. Got rear deck glued and screwed on. Forward
deck was screwed on for fitting purposes. I found that wet ply (it
has been raining every day) bends FAR easier than dry. I dont seem to
have enough floatation peanuts and milk jugs and soft drink containers
to fill the bow. Hmmmm...
More progress on trailer but the dimensions given on the internet for
the Northern Tool site are wrong. It is NOT 4' wide but is only about
3.5' wide, serious modification needed but I got an idea.

Finally got the forward deck glued on #2.

By now, I have used several of the West System epoxy thickeners and
here is my opinion.

The expensive colloidal silica works well, spreads well but is too
expensive.
The brown higher density thickener works very well, spreads well and
is far less expensive than the colloidal silica.
The micro-fibers do NOT spread well and leave a layer that is fairly
rough. They are almost as cheap as the brown filler but I do not like
them.