Parallax

Default Stevenson Minicup

(bookieb) wrote in message om...
(Parallax) wrote in message
snip
For Bookie B. You sure do things the hard way. Do ALL calculations
in metric and then convert to english units in the end. This avoids
the craziness of converting ounces to pounds and feet to furlongs etc.

snip

The 55% heavier I came up with is close enough to your 60% as makes no
odds, so I didn't screw up completely (or else we both did :-).

Yep, use Metric units all the time, esp. since even I can divide and
multiply by 10/100/1000 without too many mistakes.

In this group though, I think most readers are from the US,
and are more familiar with Imperial/US units, so that's what I try and
use.

Regards,

US should immediately go metric. I am tired of converting from one
bizarre set of units such as carats/acre-yard into lbs/cubic foot. It
amazes me that ppl put up with this nonsense. Although I am a
Southern redneck american (note capitalization on Southern but not on
american), I strongly urge the adoption of metric. Do all
calculations in MKS system (meters, Kilograms, Coulombs, Amperes,
Joules, etc) and you will never have to convert in the middle of a
calculation. I mean hp?, what is that in a real unit like Watts (1
Watt =1 joule-sec)? The so-called English system makes me want to
express all power units in something like Mt-FN (Megaton-Fortnights).

Back to boats:

The hdwre store reccomended spray painting, BIG MISTAKE. Will return
unused spray cans this afternoon.
I got worried about the little screws holding the rudder assembly to
transom via the barrel bolts and have decided to bolt the barrel bolts
to a larger plywood plate (about 8.5"x9"x3/8") with #8 nuts and bolts
and then glue and screw this plate to the transom.
I did order the lighter weight spars.
When I realized this project was really running up a bill, I decided
to tear up all receipts immediately so I will never know how much
these "Cheap" boats have really cost me.

bookieb.