Parallax

Default Stevenson Minicup

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
(bookieb) wrote in message om...
(Parallax) wrote in message
snip
For Bookie B. You sure do things the hard way. Do ALL calculations
in metric and then convert to english units in the end. This avoids
the craziness of converting ounces to pounds and feet to furlongs etc.
snip

The 55% heavier I came up with is close enough to your 60% as makes no
odds, so I didn't screw up completely (or else we both did :-).

Yep, use Metric units all the time, esp. since even I can divide and
multiply by 10/100/1000 without too many mistakes.

In this group though, I think most readers are from the US,
and are more familiar with Imperial/US units, so that's what I try and
use.

Regards,

bookieb.

OOOps, my metric tirade swhut down my brain. I mean 1 watt
=1Joule/sec and I meant Mt/FN.

Made my first sail. I am glad I used visqueen because the first
attempt was botched. Yielded a serviceable "back-up" sail but I will
make another.

LAUNCH OF #1 TOMMOROW.

SUCCESS!!!

Put her on the top of my truck (not a practical means of transport)
and hauled her to Shell Pt, FL, south of Tallahassee. Had 15 kts of
wind and rigging while in chop and wind was difficult but got it done.
Sail kept slipping down the gaff and boom so really had only about
2/3 sail but SHE FLIES. Tacks well, handles well, really great.
Slight prob is that the tiller keeps coming out of the box. Tiller
and rudder box seem a little wimpy as they were both bending under the
load. Christened her as "Tadpole" and she really swims. She does
sorta need coamings as water does come over the bow in chop but I had
a bailer handy.
My 13 yr old son took her out and had problems as he really didnt
understand "jibing" and turned her over twice. I found that standing
on the daggerboard will right her slowly. He eventually learned how to
jibe and to sail her through a tack and he was seriously impressed.
Got the sail adjusted better and my wife and I took her out and she
handles beautifully. Shell Pt has lots of oysters on the shore so she
did get a little banged up as expected but it was worth it.
She did get a little water in her fwd compartment somehow so I will
have to drill holes.
Carrying her to and from the water was a problem so I will have to
build a cart and I also need a trailer for her and #2
I am very impressed.
Andrew Butchart

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Congratulations! You've built that boat in an amazingly short time and
should be proud of your accomplishments. I agree about the tiller and
rudder box, that's one of the reasons I re-built mine.

BTW - for transporting the boat from my Jeep to the water, I built a small
dolly out of PVC pipe and it's worked quite well for me - there's some
pictures on my web-site if you're interested.

--
Andrew Butchart

http://www.floatingbear.ca

____m___~¿Ô___m____

Parallax wrote:

(Parallax) wrote in message
. com...
(Parallax) wrote in message
. com...
(Parallax) wrote in message
. com...
(bookieb) wrote in message
om...
(Parallax) wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for sharing your build process. It's been a great post that I have
looked forward to reading.
--
_______m___õ¿~___m_________________________
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

Parallax

"Andrew Butchart" wrote in message . ..
"Parallax" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Andrew. I'll have to check over your web site again for the
dolly. Once again, I thank you for your help and posting the plans.
Gawd was it fun. I'll try to get some pics this next weekend at St.
Joseph State park on the coast. I think I will use a small bungee
wrapped round the tiller and box extension to hold the tiller down but
still allow it to "kick up".

More ppl should do this. If I can build a boat, anybody can.
Glued the sides on #2.

Parallax

____m___~¿Ô___m____ wrote in message ...
Parallax wrote:

(Parallax) wrote in message
. com...
(Parallax) wrote in message
. com...
(Parallax) wrote in message
. com...
(bookieb) wrote in message
om...
(Parallax) wrote in message
[...]

I will try to get some pics this next weekend.