posted to rec.boats.building
T-Rav

Default 1986 Bayliner 2150 with new 1976 penta 350 problems

Hello, I am wondering if any one can help me. I have puchaced my first
boat. A 1986 Bayliner 2150 Capri Bowrider with a 350 penta and 280
outdrive. When I purchaced the boat, the ad said it had a rebuilt 350
and just needed exhaust manifolds. Not knowing much about boat motors,
but
knowing about older 350s I thought it would be no prob. I then discover
that
many parts are missing and find that the engine cast is a 1976 350
block cast number
3970010. I know this is mean't to be a project, but I have found out
that
the previous owner never got it running and gave up. I am now awaiting
a starter as well as other parts and now I am concerned that the engine
will not work with the outdrive. Does anyone know if these motors are
very different form each other. Very frustrated new owner, but knew it
would be a project. Thanks

-T

posted to rec.boats.building
reader

"T-Rav" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm running a Chevy 305 V-8 and Volvo 280 drive in my boat (same block as
your 350).
So your motor is all hooked up to the outdrive?
If it's not running, the first thing I'd do is take a compression test to
see what you've got.

posted to rec.boats.building
T-Rav

Yes it is hooked up. I am now soaking the the cylinders with Marvel
Myst. Oil. becouse the guy who had it before me left the distributor
out of it and it had 2 gallons of water in the crank case. I have not
wet tried to rotate the motor. Any extra ideas I could try to save the
motor? Thanks

posted to rec.boats.building
reader

"T-Rav" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes it is hooked up. I am now soaking the the cylinders with Marvel
Myst. Oil. becouse the guy who had it before me left the distributor
out of it and it had 2 gallons of water in the crank case. I have not
wet tried to rotate the motor. Any extra ideas I could try to save the
motor? Thanks

If it does not 'unstick', pull the motor and send it over to your local
automotive machine shop.

posted to rec.boats.building
J.Stockton

"T-Rav" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes it is hooked up. I am now soaking the the cylinders with Marvel
Myst. Oil. becouse the guy who had it before me left the distributor
out of it and it had 2 gallons of water in the crank case. I have not
wet tried to rotate the motor. Any extra ideas I could try to save the
motor? Thanks

If it had that much water in it the crank may be damaged. The best thing to
do is pull it out and then drop the pan and inspect the oil pump and
crankshaft. Also try to inspect the cylinder bores as moisture will
accumulate on the bottom edge of the rings and corrode the cylinder walls
there. The motor could be freed up and run with this but it will pump oil. I
had the recent experience of this with a Toyota engine that sat up without
being pickled first. I would bite the bullet and pull it out, and carefully
tear it all the way down and inspect everything. Then you have a baseline
from which to work. 350 engines are pretty inexpensive from salvage yards.
Good Luck
Jim Stockton

posted to rec.boats.building
T-Rav

Hello, was wondering if you new what starter fits. I ordered a off set
bolt pattern and it does not fit. Is yours a straight bolt? Thanks