posted to rec.boats.building
J.Stockton

Default 1986 Bayliner 2150 with new 1976 penta 350 problems

"T-Rav" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes it is hooked up. I am now soaking the the cylinders with Marvel
Myst. Oil. becouse the guy who had it before me left the distributor
out of it and it had 2 gallons of water in the crank case. I have not
wet tried to rotate the motor. Any extra ideas I could try to save the
motor? Thanks

If it had that much water in it the crank may be damaged. The best thing to
do is pull it out and then drop the pan and inspect the oil pump and
crankshaft. Also try to inspect the cylinder bores as moisture will
accumulate on the bottom edge of the rings and corrode the cylinder walls
there. The motor could be freed up and run with this but it will pump oil. I
had the recent experience of this with a Toyota engine that sat up without
being pickled first. I would bite the bullet and pull it out, and carefully
tear it all the way down and inspect everything. Then you have a baseline
from which to work. 350 engines are pretty inexpensive from salvage yards.
Good Luck
Jim Stockton