ddutton

Default Volvo Penta 120B Problems

I have a volvo penta 120B with a 270 leg. Engine has had carb rebuilt,
new points rotar, plugs etc. When it runs it runs fine, idles great
descent performance, but it will not run consitently. Next time I run
it it won't idle etc. Changed fuel filter even tried running it off of
seperate clean fuel supply. The front 2 cylinders are low on pressure,
the mechanic say because of this I should repower as it is causing my
problems. Since when it runs it runs fine I can see the low pressure in
the front 2 cyclinders causing this intermitent problem. Any
suggestions?

ddutton wrote:
I have a volvo penta 120B with a 270 leg. Engine has had carb rebuilt,
new points rotar, plugs etc. When it runs it runs fine, idles great
descent performance, but it will not run consitently. Next time I run
it it won't idle etc. Changed fuel filter even tried running it off of
seperate clean fuel supply. The front 2 cylinders are low on pressure,
the mechanic say because of this I should repower as it is causing my
problems. Since when it runs it runs fine I can see the low pressure in
the front 2 cyclinders causing this intermitent problem. Any
suggestions?

Yes, I don't know about a total repower, but it sounds to me like you
have a bad head gasket and/or burnt valves.

my 4 cvyl chevy in my chris craft would run great that is, IF you could
get it started. and would pull 4000 rpm well, but it didn't ahve torque
to pull my 120 lb daughter up on ski's.

After the head gasket and ehad work (about 350.00 worth) it was a lot
snappier, and idled smoother. I thought it was alright too, that is
until I worked it over.

if you take off the head, it will tell a lot of tails.

BTW, my compression was as follows 122-120-85-58

3 burnt exhaust valves and a blown gasket.

Tim

surfnturf

Sticking valve(s)? Had this happen on a motorcycle engine. Sometimes it was
fine, othertimes it just farted and spluttered.

"ddutton" wrote:

The front 2 cylinders are low on pressure,
suggestions?

Volvo Penta 39; Req. for Doc. H. Overbeek General 1 January 8th 09 02:55 PM
Biodiesel and Volvo Penta Marine engine cvj Cruising 3 April 17th 06 11:16 PM
Volvo Penta 39; Req. for Doc. H. Overbeek General 6 March 28th 06 08:22 PM
Volvo Penta Stern Drive DavidK General 0 March 28th 06 03:15 AM
Vintage Volvo Penta question H. Overbeek Cruising 2 March 24th 06 09:50 PM