Backyard Renegade

Default Sit On Top Plans now available

Matt Langenfeld wrote in message ink.net...
You know what, I gave it some thought. Perhaps I will stop announcing
new plans. Maybe just refer to them if someone asks about a type of
design I have.

Appologies to those I've offended.

Matt

That's what I do. And if I do happen to have something that I feel
fits the bill, unless it is a general question by various members of
the group, I contact them off list.
Scotty, from, well, er, um, ahhhh forget it, go build a boat...

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Jim Conlin wrote:
This is beginning to sound like commercial advertising.

On posts which contribute expertise or special insight on a problem, a
tasteful trailer with a tag line and a web link is generally tolerated . An
announcement of a hard-to-find item, like okoume ply in Oklahoma or 1/8" WRC
veneer would be, too.

Yet another tacky CAD rendering of an un-built, un-tested design we can live
without.

Matt Langenfeld wrote:

Greetings Builders,

A fine day to build your own Sit On Top kayak isn't it? We're mighty
proud of her as the VERY FIRST set of SOT kayak plans available.

http://jem.e-boat.net/proddetail.php?prod=CFSOT16

This one is a big one: almost 16' long and 31" wide. She's made for
stability and can carry a big load. Great for fishing. We'll follow up
with 2 other versions:

-14' and 28" wide
-12" and 26" wide

After that, some new styles of SOTs with different hull shapes.

Old Nick

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:54:55 GMT, Brian Whatcott
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

your private parts will grow by 3 inches!

if you are female.

Now that's....no...
The Met Bureau is LOVE!
Jim Conlin

Jacques, I have greatly valued the contributions of you and Kern and others. Your professional
qualifications add credibility to your generous advice, and you never let the your business interest become
the primary message. I don't think that i've mentioned, much less promoted, my boatbuilding business here,
and I won't.

I begin to have a problem when someone's message is not one of knowledgeable help with a boatbuilding issue
but instead touting a mundane product.

I hope that you will continue to contribute your wisdom and I wish that Kern would return. We don't now
have someone knowledgeable about epoxy or LPU finishes.
Jim

Jacques wrote:

(William R. Watt) wrote in message ...
Glenn Ashmore ) writes:

Unfortunately because of some self appointed newsgroup police we have
lost a number of valuable resources in the past. I had hoped that we
learn from experience.

what this newsgroup lost were promoters who discouraged (and
that's putting it mildly) discussion of alternatives.

Sorry to disagree but I know for certain that Kern Hendricks from
System Three doesn't post anymnore because of the flaming. He provided
valuable information about epoxy in general.
The anti business attitude of some users results in the loss of good
contributors.
This has an historical base considering that the Usenet started as a
tool to exchange information between universities, a place where free
entreprise is not welcome and where capitalist ideas are censored.
It's time to grow up, professionals can be a great asset to this
group. Would you refuse advice from your doctor or lawyer because he
charges for his services?
The advice and information given here by professionals is free, it is
only normal that they state who they are and what they sell.
It is not a sin to be a boating professional!

Jacques from bateau.com

William R. Watt

Jacques ) writes:

The advice and information given here by professionals is free, it is
only normal that they state who they are and what they sell.
It is not a sin to be a boating professional!

the advice was not unbiased, quite the opposite. that Kern guy criticized
anyone who used anything but epopxy, which he just happened to sell.

I suspect a lot of people with something to sell now spend time on their
own websites and don't participate in newsgroup discussions. With a
website a person gets to display products in full colour all the time and
can avoid any hint of disagreement. I prefer to spend my time in
newsgroups where anyone can disagree with me and propose better
alternatives, and because I don't have income from sales to put into a
fancy website and write it off as a business expense.

You are right about the Usenet. It was created by universities to promote
learning through open discussion. Still does for those who really want to
learn and not just impose their views and products on people.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Stephen Baker

William Watt says:

True, mostly. I use my website, and the gallery section at www.boatdesign.net
(non-commercial hint) to show designs. The boatdesign forum is free, allows
full colour pics, and has much more space available than my own website (still
using AOHell's space, 2Mb limit)

and because I don't have income from sales to put into a
fancy website and write it off as a business expense.

I wish I could deduct it as a business expense, but sadly it is also my
personal space, and the write-off would be so small as to be un-noticable.

Steve (sig on)

Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm
Matt Langenfeld

I'll just list "Commercial Announcement" in the subject line. That way
people who don't want to read it can skip over it. Kinda like skipping
the spam.