Evan Gatehouse

Default zero clearance cutting tools?

I am going to trim some plywood frames that intersect the hull right at the
shoulder position of a few quarterberths. These are either 1/4" or 3/8"
plywood frames, tabbed both sides to the hull. By the way, I'm a naval
architect and mech. engineer so I have a pretty good idea of what I can and
cannot cut

I can cut down into the glass with a jigsaw, but the baseplate of the jigsaw
will bump the hull before I get close enough - and I would like to run the
cut line right down the hull for about 12".

So the tools I have available a

- angle grinder with cut-off wheel
- dremel tool with fiberglass cutting discs
- jigsaw

Any other tools that might work for a tight cut against the hull through
fiberglass tabbing? The only other one I can think of is a reciprocating
saw ("Sawz-All") but they are a bit hard to control and still get a nice
close to the hull.

I recognize I'll have to do some grinding / sanding of the last of the
tabbing but would like to minimize the amount of this.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

terry

trim the foot of the jigsaw back behind the blade or use some muscle with a
japanese saw.

Stephen Baker

Howsabout a good old-fashioned coping saw for the primary cuts, followed by the
grinder?

Steve

William R. Watt

a series of holes drilled with a 90 deg attachment?
do they sell flexible extensions for rotary drills?
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Glenn Ashmore

Evan,

You really should invest a couple hundred bucks in a Fein Multitool and
an offset carbon steel blade. It will cut glass right up flush with the
hull and sands better than any of the other tools I have. It is by far
my favorite power hand tool.

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
[...]

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jim Conlin

.... and don't be tempted by the other detail sanders on the market (Bosch,
Porter-Cable, Ryobi). I agree with Glenn's conclusion that they're only useful as
a sexual aid. I have a couple that i'd let go cheap. They've only been used as
sanders.

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
[...]

Kiyu

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 01:11:29 -0700, "Evan Gatehouse"
wrote:

So the tools I have available a

- angle grinder with cut-off wheel
- dremel tool with fiberglass cutting discs
- jigsaw

I recognize I'll have to do some grinding / sanding of the last of the
tabbing but would like to minimize the amount of this.

If'n I were doing it I'd use the grinder after the jigsaw & spend the
extra time to make a plastic & duct tape enclosure with a shop vac
hookup to keep the itchy stuff & dust from migrating. The grinder will
be sloppy but you'll need to clean up anyway so why not just contain
it at the start?
And you won't have to bother your kids later to try the bunks out to
see if you have gotten all the glass fibers cleaned up.

Kiyu
Glenn Ashmore

D&@N, your words live on the web for a long time. :-)