Jim Conlin

Default zero clearance cutting tools?

.... and don't be tempted by the other detail sanders on the market (Bosch,
Porter-Cable, Ryobi). I agree with Glenn's conclusion that they're only useful as
a sexual aid. I have a couple that i'd let go cheap. They've only been used as
sanders.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Evan,

You really should invest a couple hundred bucks in a Fein Multitool and
an offset carbon steel blade. It will cut glass right up flush with the
hull and sands better than any of the other tools I have. It is by far
my favorite power hand tool.

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
I am going to trim some plywood frames that intersect the hull right at the
shoulder position of a few quarterberths. These are either 1/4" or 3/8"
plywood frames, tabbed both sides to the hull. By the way, I'm a naval
architect and mech. engineer so I have a pretty good idea of what I can and
cannot cut

I can cut down into the glass with a jigsaw, but the baseplate of the jigsaw
will bump the hull before I get close enough - and I would like to run the
cut line right down the hull for about 12".

So the tools I have available a

- angle grinder with cut-off wheel
- dremel tool with fiberglass cutting discs
- jigsaw

Any other tools that might work for a tight cut against the hull through
fiberglass tabbing? The only other one I can think of is a reciprocating
saw ("Sawz-All") but they are a bit hard to control and still get a nice
close to the hull.

I recognize I'll have to do some grinding / sanding of the last of the
tabbing but would like to minimize the amount of this.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com