Sylvain Sirois

Default Repair fiberglass

I am about to buy a wooden boat wraped in fiberglass. I will have a large
area to repair on the hule.

Any hints on the art of fiberglass ? Any website with the technique ?

I have never play with this material.

Thank you

Sylvain

Terry Spragg

Sylvain Sirois wrote:
I am about to buy a wooden boat wraped in fiberglass. I will have a large
area to repair on the hule.

Any hints on the art of fiberglass ? Any website with the technique ?

I have never play with this material.
Sylvain

Caution!

Glass clad wooden boats can be a nightmare. If the wood got wet,
you will probably need to replace it. Poke the wood with an awl to
help judge it's soundness.

Polyester doesn't stick to wood as well as epoxy does, but even
epoxy will not help a boat with soddon, rotton wood.

The material is like snot. Sticky, noxious, snot. You should wear
rubber gloves and old clothes. Do not 'whip' air into the mix.

You will need some experimentation to get the hang of adjusting the
mix to allow for additives, sunlight, temperature, humidity, and
thickness effects, which make the goo harden more quickly than you
might expect.

West sytems epoxy manufacurers publish a book with repair hints,
available at places that sell west sytem products. Read it. It
mostly applies to polyester resin, too, except for catalyst /
hardner ratios.

Caveat emptor!

Good luck.

Terry K

Lew Hodgett

"Sylvain Sirois" writes:

I am about to buy a wooden boat wraped in fiberglass. I will have a large
area to repair on the hule.

snip
I would not touch this deal, period, end of report.

It is heartbreak, waiting to happen.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Sylvain Sirois

La Côte-Nord; Baie-Comeau.

Sylvain

"Pierre" a écrit dans le message de
news
Where from Sylvain, MTL here

Pierre

"Sylvain Sirois" wrote in message
I have forgot to say, the cause of the break. He hit a submerged wood

log.
I have not found root.

Sylvain

"Sylvain Sirois" a écrit dans le

message
de ...
I am about to buy a wooden boat wraped in fiberglass. I will have a

large
area to repair on the hule.

Any hints on the art of fiberglass ? Any website with the technique ?

I have never play with this material.

Thank you

Sylvain

FS 17' Yar-Craft fiberglass bow rider, 120hp Mercrusier I/O, cracked block. Needs repair Dan S General 0 May 7th 04 03:31 PM
fiberglass pontoon leak on boat slip, HELP! Dustin General 8 May 6th 04 07:36 PM
Marine A/C - To repair, or not to repair? Submariner General 3 April 1st 04 05:20 AM
Bow Eye Repair Mike General 8 October 15th 03 01:37 PM
Bow eye repair Mike Boat Building 4 October 14th 03 01:28 PM