BoatBanter.com

-   -   Repair fiberglass (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6823-repair-fiberglass.html)

Sylvain Sirois April 4th 04 07:13 PM

Repair fiberglass

I am about to buy a wooden boat wraped in fiberglass. I will have a large
area to repair on the hule.

Any hints on the art of fiberglass ? Any website with the technique ?

I have never play with this material.

Thank you

Sylvain

Terry Spragg April 5th 04 06:02 PM

Repair fiberglass

Sylvain Sirois wrote:
I am about to buy a wooden boat wraped in fiberglass. I will have a large
area to repair on the hule.

Any hints on the art of fiberglass ? Any website with the technique ?

I have never play with this material.
Sylvain

Caution!

Glass clad wooden boats can be a nightmare. If the wood got wet,
you will probably need to replace it. Poke the wood with an awl to
help judge it's soundness.

Polyester doesn't stick to wood as well as epoxy does, but even
epoxy will not help a boat with soddon, rotton wood.

The material is like snot. Sticky, noxious, snot. You should wear
rubber gloves and old clothes. Do not 'whip' air into the mix.

You will need some experimentation to get the hang of adjusting the
mix to allow for additives, sunlight, temperature, humidity, and
thickness effects, which make the goo harden more quickly than you
might expect.

West sytems epoxy manufacurers publish a book with repair hints,
available at places that sell west sytem products. Read it. It
mostly applies to polyester resin, too, except for catalyst /
hardner ratios.

Caveat emptor!

Good luck.

Terry K

schippertje April 5th 04 07:54 PM

Repair fiberglass

In article , weet
ons te melden...
I am about to buy a wooden boat wraped in fiberglass. I will have a large
area to repair on the hule.

Any hints on the art of fiberglass ? Any website with the technique ?

I have never play with this material.

Give te boat a good look before you buy. All too many wooden boats
wrapped in fiberglass have rotted away from the inside. Be suspicious of
flexible spots in the fiberglass, other than the spots that need
repairing.

The fact that there is some repair-work to do could mean the rotting
process is already underway. You should seriously ask yourself if the
boat is worth buying

--
schippertje

Lew Hodgett April 6th 04 12:23 AM

Repair fiberglass

"Sylvain Sirois" writes:

I am about to buy a wooden boat wraped in fiberglass. I will have a large
area to repair on the hule.

snip
I would not touch this deal, period, end of report.

It is heartbreak, waiting to happen.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Sylvain Sirois April 6th 04 02:10 PM

Repair fiberglass

I have forgot to say, the cause of the break. He hit a submerged wood log.
I have not found root.

Sylvain

de ...