Terry Spragg

Default Repair fiberglass

Sylvain Sirois wrote:
I am about to buy a wooden boat wraped in fiberglass. I will have a large
area to repair on the hule.

Any hints on the art of fiberglass ? Any website with the technique ?

I have never play with this material.
Sylvain

Caution!

Glass clad wooden boats can be a nightmare. If the wood got wet,
you will probably need to replace it. Poke the wood with an awl to
help judge it's soundness.

Polyester doesn't stick to wood as well as epoxy does, but even
epoxy will not help a boat with soddon, rotton wood.

The material is like snot. Sticky, noxious, snot. You should wear
rubber gloves and old clothes. Do not 'whip' air into the mix.

You will need some experimentation to get the hang of adjusting the
mix to allow for additives, sunlight, temperature, humidity, and
thickness effects, which make the goo harden more quickly than you
might expect.

West sytems epoxy manufacurers publish a book with repair hints,
available at places that sell west sytem products. Read it. It
mostly applies to polyester resin, too, except for catalyst /
hardner ratios.

Caveat emptor!

Good luck.

Terry K