BIANCO ROBERTO

Default [q] scaling down a whaleboat

Hi all,

Whaleboats have amazing lines, don't they, but are also 24-28 ft long
and certainly no cartoppers. One could (naively) think of just getting
the plans for a whaleboat, scale all dimensions down by half, choose
lapstrake construction, symmetrize the oars positions, discard a couple
of seats together with some whaling implements, and there you have a
mini-whaleboat for two people. But then, on second thought, maybe not
all the dimensions should be scaled down linearly, just by half, and
a more refined approach should be used for the various parts of the
boat and rigging. So...

1) what is the correct procedure to scale a boat down ?

2) where can I find plans for a whaleboat ?

Roberto
Robert Larder

You mean the Montague whaler the navy used to use? If so there`s some info
in old copies of "The Admiralty Manual of Seamanship" (British Admiralty,
that is). My copy containing info. was from around 1934, I don`t know when
it became obselete and was dropped from the book.
As you say, great lines- guess a naval museum could help? Dunno if they
could be scaled down directly though, the beam IIRC was 7 ft something.....
Good luck.
Bob
BIANCO ROBERTO wrote:
Hi all,

Whaleboats have amazing lines, don't they, but are also 24-28 ft long
and certainly no cartoppers. One could (naively) think of just
getting the plans for a whaleboat, scale all dimensions down by half,
choose lapstrake construction, symmetrize the oars positions, discard
a couple of seats together with some whaling implements, and there
you have a mini-whaleboat for two people. But then, on second
thought, maybe not all the dimensions should be scaled down linearly,
just by half, and
a more refined approach should be used for the various parts of the
boat and rigging. So...

1) what is the correct procedure to scale a boat down ?

2) where can I find plans for a whaleboat ?

Roberto

Stephen Baker

Roberto says:

snip whaleboat scaling question

Would it not be simpler to find plans for a peapod?

;-)

Steve
steveJ

Roberto,
There are several types of boats refered to as whaleboats.
I assume you mean the small boats used by New England Whalers for taking
off a ship and harpooning a whale. I have thought about doing just this
thing but after doing a little research I find that not all whale boats
are alike. You may be able to get lines plans for a whaleboat at the
Mystic Seaport Museum in Connecticut. I have a photo of a boat they have
there if you would like to see it.
Otherwise, the boat you are describing sounds an awful lot like a St.
Lawrence Skiff. I have plans for one of these and I believe this boat is
about as close as I've seen to a scaled down whaleboat. The boat I have
plans for (Annie)has a waterline that is wider at the center than a
whaleboat would be (proportional to the size).The bottom is flatter. I
think this might be a good thing in a small boat.
But apparently others did not think so and there have been other boats
designed that use a very narrow bottom width such as the Adirondack
Guideboat that may have been derived from a whaleboat.
This photo is an early Adirondack Guideboat and they were subsequently
much refined.
http://www.geocities.com/new_old_boa.../index/gb5.jpg
Here are the refined versions
http://www.geocities.com/new_old_boa...dex/gboats.htm

If you decide to build one of these let me know and I will be happy to
offer info. I built one last year using the strip method and it works
great.